Willg's Windshield Building Instructions

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Willg's Windshield Building Instructions

Post by BB Sig »

willg wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:23 pm I thought I'd show some pics and document my windshield fabrication. After looking into this online I figured there could always be a little more info available. This is .22" plexiglass from HDepot. I had enough material from one sheet to make 2 windshields. I first used heavy paper to make a template on my console to get the gist of what I wanted, then transferred it to a piece of ply to make a permanent template. I didn't worry much about exact measurements for the template, just made sure it was symmetric. I transferred the template pattern to the plexiglass, but drew it wide so I could rough cut the plexiglass on the table saw. Then I taped the plexiglass to the template and ran it on the router table using a straight pattern-following bit. The router does a clean job on the plexiglass (the table saw does not). I then rounded the edges on both sides with a 1/4" roundover bit. I then flame polished the edge with a MAP torch (also HDepot). This turned out nice. I used the console itself as the bending form for the corners. After slowly heating the bend line with a hot air gun I taped it to the console, did the bend and held it till it set. It's hot as hell and you need gloves for this! Despite all the warnings about drilling plexiglass, I drilled the holes carefully beginning with little bits and worked my way up - no problem. It was attached with finish washers and rubber washers.

Link to willg's Windshield Building Thread!

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... ld#p404522

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Willg's Windshield Building Instructions

Post by OrangeQuest »

He makes it look and sound so easy!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have some 1/8" (.125) ordered, am I going to regret not doing .22? too late now, I guess I can try and see :P

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Thanks for reposting the windshield instructions. My dad made me the windshield for the OB. He did a great job.
Attachments
IMG_20200706_180523175.jpg
IMG_20200706_180429105.jpg
IMG_20200706_174121789.jpg
IMG_20200428_180626796.jpg