LM18 Houston Tx

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM18 Houston Tx

Post by ericwensel »

The reason for gluing the G10 down while attached is due to the fact that i have two separate G10 plates which have already been tapped. Subsequently, they must be perfectly positioned (relative to each other) in order for the holes to line up. Even a millimeter off would be a problem. Once the glue sets, i will remove the console with the expectation that it can be screwed down again as the bolt holes are perfectly aligned. At least that is the plan.

However, another option that would let me glue the G10 plates down without be attached to the console would be as follows. It would be to set guides (wood blocks glued - removal hot glue - or taped to the deck. The guides could be placed while the G10 plates are bolted to the console. Then remove the G10 Plates and glue then in the perfect spot using the guides. Perhaps the aluminum tubes will have some give for a very slight imperfection so that might work as well.

Similar to guides, i guess i could just trace the G10 plates (instead of guides) and then just place them using the tracing. That makes me nervous though. If it moved while setting or i was off a bit for some other reason i would have a real mess on my hands.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Your plan sounds solid to me.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ericwensel »

Pads are secured to deck and they lined up perfectly with the bolt holes!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Look good!! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Glad that worked to plan, great when that happens!
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks really good but how are the bolts fastening to the deck?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ericwensel »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:51 am Looks really good but how are the bolts fastening to the deck?
The bolts don't actually touch the deck. The 0.25" thick G10 plate is glued to the deck using epoxy resin. I drilled and tapped the G10 so i could bolt the console base to the G10. Although the bolts extend about 2 threads below the G10, i made a countersink in the deck (below each bolt) and then put on a couple layers of epoxy resign over the exposed wood to protect it.

ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ericwensel »

Finally got the boat out of the garage! I took to dealer who is installing the motor. My wife is pleased to be able to park in the garage again.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks incredible!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

That’s a sexy lookin boat man. You definitely should be proud! What motor are you putting on it?