Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by Netpackrat »

I would have a difficult time choosing to use the blind rivets were I to build one, even knowing that it is designed for them. The only real downside to solid rivets is difficulty of installation. A lot of builders get hung up on that, but it's just a skill that can be learned like any other. I think one of the reasons most of the kits start you out with the tail section, is when you get the rest of the airplane finished, it's no big deal to get another tail kit and re-do all of the learning mistakes. :lol:

Would love to be working on mine again, but I've found I like that part a lot more than I do the flying part, so it isn't really a good use of time or money.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Just curious, do you have a big enough brake out there? I bought the plans from this guy a few years ago and they seem good, although I have not had the machining capability to actually build it as yet:

http://macsmachine.com/

There's some mill work and a little bit of lathe work. The rest is just cutting and welding.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I must admit that I'm a little confused.

I don't see where you'd put the downriggers and livewell.

:D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:49 am I must admit that I'm a little confused.

I don't see where you'd put the downriggers and livewell.

:D

I'm confused about what you are confused about.......
Amphibson_sideview.jpg

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Definitely log the build here!

Way back in the day I was an EAA member and somewhere in the house I have the plans for the Ragwing RW2 plans by Roger Mann. Classed as an ultralight. Life and family got in the way and never got around to building it.

My dad was too young for WWII and had polio as a senior in HS but before that he worked summers at the Boeing plant as a sophomore and junior. I didn't know that until he was in his 60's. I was talking with my brother about blind rivets and Dad proceeded to tell us all about it. He also told the story of getting lost in the plant and Security found him. Grilled him for a couple hours on why he was in an area he wasn't supposed to be. Guess a Nazi spy could be as young as a teenager :lol:

Anyway, I'm seriously looking forward to your build!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:14 am Just curious, do you have a big enough brake out there? I bought the plans from this guy a few years ago and they seem good, although I have not had the machining capability to actually build it as yet:

http://macsmachine.com/

There's some mill work and a little bit of lathe work. The rest is just cutting and welding.
I have a 4ft brake at work and neighbor has a 12ft one. Eventually ill want one in my new shop but for now I'll just "borrow" :)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I spent some time cleaning up the mess I made in the tent last 3 years boat building, still need to organize some tools and get the dust off all the shelving/benches.

I have a 14'x35" strongback made from 2x8s and sheeted with plywood, thinking I might stick legs under it and a couple sheets of plywood to make a big table for working on this winter. Would give me a nice 6" overhang maybe reinforced with 2x4s or something.... or maybe just cut down some mdf and cover the existing size, the current sheeting is in pretty rough shape.

Started watching the homebuilt help videos, need to rip them to a usb stick before I scratch any of the disks. Was trying to think and I cant remember the last time I used disks for watching anything.

The plans arrived yesterday. Zenith included the SD assembly manual and the 750STOL blueprints with some parts in the horizontal and elevator pages highlighted. I assume those are the ones for me to start building, but sent roger an email to verify.

Starting to make a tentative list of stuff to order before I start, some tools some supplies, etc....

I found a list someone had made where they estimated the aluminum they would need for their 750stol,

9 sheets .016

10 sheets .020

3 sheets .025

2 sheets .032

1 sheet .040

1 sheet .063

1/8" and 5/32" avex countersunk rivets (how many of each to start with?)

1/8" and 5/32" clecos (how many of each?)

Pneumatic and hand rivet pullers with Zenair modified heads

Probably one of the Builders tool kits off Aircraft Spruce (is there a better place to look for the basics bundled together?)

Cleco Pliers

Metric squares and straight edges

Compass and Protractor

Assorted pencils and pens

Snips and olfa knife

Belt sander

Band Saw

Drill Press

Router Table

Vise

A couple extra sheets of 3/4" plywood for making form blocks

Once I have a pretty good list together and finished, then negotiations with my wife begin :p

I have laid the ground work by buying her a brand new retro scooter like she has always dreamed of, and she is expecting a big lump cost starting out this project, but still I need to be wise with it.

Like_50-1-1024x723-1-1024x723 (1).png

I own or have access to most of the tools at work already, but want to be doing most of this at home, starting in our boat building tent and moving into our new shop next fall when it is done.

The boats were pretty much just skill saw, table saw, hand held router and random orbital sander, I do have some misc. stuff xactos, dremil, hammers, wrenches, sockets, cordless drills, etc.... but nothing really focused toward sheet metal at home.

We have a local Aircraft Spruce warehouse (about 10% higher prices than the southern warehouses) so I will use it as my base price when shopping around for best prices. Not sure how realistic it is, but hoping to start with around $5-6k of supplies and keep the average going forward to under $750 a month.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Were it me, I would drag the strongback out of the tent and put it under a tarp until you are ready to start assembling wings, fuse etc. Make yourself some EAA Chapter 1000 work tables. Building from plans, you are going to be working on smaller parts for some time and the smaller tables will be easier to work with and make better use of your space.

For tools, I think Avery tools went out of business unfortunately but Brown Tool and the Yard Store are both quite good. The airframe specific tool kits are probably geared for kit builders so keep in mind you will need more stuff that kit guys will not.

If you have questions on form blocks, etc I may have some usable info when you get to that point since I made a complete set of Bearhawk wing and control surface ribs from scratch.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

For cutting rib blanks out of your large sheets you will want a handheld power shear either air or electric. I would cut them out about 1/4” oversize from the sheet and then on the line with offset hand snips. Some people use a router with a template but it is loud and makes a huge mess, and easy to screw up a rib. Get a big scotch brite wheel and mount in bench grinder or buffing motor for deburring the rib edges, it’s the fastest method and does a good job.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

A 3 seater? Cool. What fun. I learned what stol means now.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495