JonnyMac's FS13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: JonnyMac's FS13

Post by jonnymac »

Well, moved to southern Maine. Got a new job. Got my NY house ready to sell, and now I’m racing to finish the boat enough for the winter. I’m working out of an unheated garage, that is packed with a lot of shit so its hard to heat. And I can’t leave it unattended for very long.

So today I glued some more of the cleats on, I ran out of clamps so I need to finish the rest tomorrow. And Hopefully pour some foam tomorrow evening.
Attachments
ACBEAAC0-6C79-42E4-B8CF-EE69A816B317.jpeg
29812048-76C6-4E5A-AC47-5B92E942C0F4.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Pretty sure those pour foams are usually temperature sensitive. Just hate to see it go wrong is all. It got cold here some now, too. Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:20 am Pretty sure those pour foams are usually temperature sensitive. Just hate to see it go wrong is all. It got cold here some now, too. Dan
yea, I have two days this week where I can get the garage warm enough to pour the foam with my two heaters, but If I miss those windows. I guess I'll be doing it in the spring.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Put the jugs of pour foam in a hot water bath. If you get the foam up over 100f it will be much more active with better expansion. Just be ready to mix and pour quickly as the reaction happens a lot faster.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Racing a falling thermostat or waiting out a rising thermostat are a big part of my builds as well, so I feel your pain.

I like Fuzz's idea about warming the foam, I use a "New England Patriots" crock pot to warm my epoxy and it makes things much easier, no experience with foam though.

Best of luck!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I’ll have to look out for a crock pot at a garage sale, as that would probably be a good tool for the shop anyway.

I’m going to put the one heater under the boat hull to warm it directly. the other heater blast it in the vicinity for the air temp as best I can. My wife is going to help mix, so we can go as fast as possible. And I’m going to have a warm bath in a cooler for the foam.

I want to do a bigger build some day and I’m not even going to start unless I have a relatively temperature controlled environment. Its hard enough to find boat building time let alone weather dependent boat building time.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am in weather window here as well. I was in a pretty mad dash for awhile, but we are newr freezing overnites. I have cold weather epoxy for a couple final projects, but my exterior finish/epoxy work is ftmp all wrapped up until April.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I built my shop over 30 years ago. It is one of the few really good investments I have made. If a man likes doing stuff with his hands you need a place to work in. Those of us who live in cooler climates more so. It does not have to be perfect but it does need to be dry inside and be able to be kept warm when needed.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 pm I built my shop over 30 years ago. It is one of the few really good investments I have made. If a man likes doing stuff with his hands you need a place to work in. Those of us who live in cooler climates more so. It does not have to be perfect but it does need to be dry inside and be able to be kept warm when needed.
Yea, i did the same at my previous house built a 16’x28’ workshop finished it, just in time to move. 🤦‍♂️ We are renting for a little while while we sell our other house and buy a new one. Hopefully a new house either has a barn or workshop already or it has space to put one up quickly. Now that I am near the coast, going to need a seagoing cruising boat 😁