new build GT Cruiser 23

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: new build GT Cruiser 23

Post by fallguy1000 »

Make a 3/8" radius gauge.

Take a small piece of plywood scrap.

Make an intersecting line with 90s.

Drill a tiny hole on the intersection.

Drill a 3/4" hole. Cut with an oscillating tool and keep 1/4 of two sides of the thing. Throw the other 2 away.
20324E22-17E3-4DDD-9EC8-A53BC049F9A2.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LaChefels »

Cool thank you.
Fiberglass applied wrong is mighty tough. I’m pondering getting a variable speed belt sander. Any thoughts.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nnnoooooooo!

Big mistake.

The best tool for grinding glass is a Festool Rotex sander which can also be used for fairing and sanding paint.

The other option is a Festool RTS400 or supercedes.

Use 40 grit paper only for removal. The Festool and any papers, for that matter, lose their edge fast in glass and epoxy..lotsa paper changes are needed.

I have a couple rts400s.

All Festools are repairable, but not cheap.

I am a seasoned user of tools and would NEVER use a belt sander to do that job. Not ever.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What are you using now?

Probably nothing suitable.

Lots of rotary sanders won't keep turning and are useless, but a belt sander will ruin plywood and is considered an implement of destruction.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy while the Festool is the Gold standard many boats have been built here with random orbit sanders a 6" is best but 5" is fine if that is what you have. Make sure you have a quality one. Sandpaper is readily available and cheaper than the Festool and a dust collection system works very well. While your correct to give your opinion give other options also. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Also when a lot needs to be removed over a big area then the angle grinder and or belt sanders can do a nice job and like Fuzz has stated more than once, it's a delicate touch, paraphrasing. I have used both on my build and they are very handy tools to have in the tool shed. But like any tool, you need to know how to use them correctly.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Pictured is a 0-3000rpm sander/grinder. With 36 grit 3M green disks it will move glass like no random orbit sander will. With a careful touch it is a champ. But it can be a WMD if given a chance. The ZEC disk shown is a whole other level. It make the green disk seem like it is hand sanding! Either one will cure your problem but I must stress to use at your own peril

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:41 am fallguy while the Festool is the Gold standard many boats have been built here with random orbit sanders a 6" is best but 5" is fine if that is what you have. Make sure you have a quality one. Sandpaper is readily available and cheaper than the Festool and a dust collection system works very well. While your correct to give your opinion give other options also. Tom
Most ros do not have a continual drive, so as soon as you press down; they stop.

And therein lies the rub. Most ros do not hog glass. I thought she said she had one already.

Fuzz's variable speed grinder is much better than ros and can be done lower cost.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I built my boat with 2 x A$100 Bosch 6" random orbit sanders! :D

I agree with Fuzz that if you really want to remove something a 3M sanding disc on an angle grinder is the way to go, but as a WoMD :help: needs to wielded with considerable finesse! :lol:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I laid 5m2 of glass with bubbles, two layers. In the end a diamond blade on a oscillating tool and heatgun was the easiest and cleanest by far. But for that little bit a grinder will do fine. As soon as you have a solid surface just glass over the whole lot. You do need to make a bigger radius at the chine. Other thing you can do just before taping is prime the plywood with neat epoxy. Then lay a little putty over the joint, and also any imperfections, dips hollows etc. Put the glass on that straightaway. This will not only help to fill any voids but also give the glass something to sit in at the joint. It helped me a lot when I was relaying that glass.