Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Thanks Tom, I'll happily listen to the experts on this!
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah, it's cool, but this is all good info that should be documented in your own build thread as well. That's a very cool looking poling platform. Are you making it all out of plywood?

Anyway, back to our regular scheduled programming.

I spent this week hanging panels and checking fits. Ran into an issue, but I was about to work through it and I think everything is all good.

Earlier in the week, I got the bottom panels on.

After I hung the side panels, contours weren't matching up. First I trimmed the bottom panel to get it to match up, but they still weren't sitting just right. Spent a couple nights messing around with it. Thinking on it some more after I wrapped up for the evening yesterday, I began to suspect that I cut the side panels too long and thus, too tall as well.

I had gotten most of the contour fixed at this point, but note how much longer the panel is at the bow.

Sure enough, my side panels were about 4 inches too long. Well I trimmed it to fit the bottom panel contour on the port side then matched it back up with the starboard side panel to trim and keep it symmetric. Because I initially trimmed the port bottom panel somewhat before I realized what was going on, I trimmed the starboard bottom panel to match as well.

After getting everything trimmed up to match each other and a little extra shaving here and there to keep gaps everywhere, I feel comfortable saying that she's ready to proceed on.

Now I'm taping up the inside seams to prevent excess epoxy buildup and hope to have the first joint glue application by the end of the weekend.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:16 pm ... should be documented in your own build thread as well. That's a very cool looking poling platform. Are you making it all out of plywood?
No one reads my thread! :D

Plywood platform and solid wood risers. The idea is that the platform can slide in and out, theoretically.

Your results after trimming look great! Are you spacing the panels with something to create a gap? I Use framing nails every few inches
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I used small pieces of PVC on the inside of the panels. Seemed to work out OK.

You've piqued my interest with this poling platform. Depending on how much plywood I use for my console, I might have enough to try something like that as well.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 pm I used small pieces of PVC on the inside of the panels. Seemed to work out OK.
I did the same on the advice of some folks here, made the alignment much easier!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 pm
You've piqued my interest with this poling platform. Depending on how much plywood I use for my console, I might have enough to try something like that as well.
I moved those photos to my thread, I'll let you know how it progresses!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I got the first application of epoxy in the seams tonight.

Airshow is in town tomorrow, so I won't be working on it.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Spent the week cleaning up the edge bonds. I sanded and rounded the edges then made another pass with some additional epoxy fillet to fill any large voids. Sanded the 2nd application this morning.

I prepared my pieces of 6" wide tape and went to work applying it on all the seams. I pre-darted the pieces where the corners would end up. That helped to align everything once I laid them out on the epoxy.

I didn't really see a particular order specified, just quantity so I did the 2 keel pieces first, then 1 transom, then the chine, then the 2nd transom. I thought this would help keep the transom corners under control and it seemed to have worked out OK.

After I applied all of the specified tape, I ended up applying an additional cap over the front of the bow after all the tape pieces were down. Seemed like it helped to keep the stackup of layers under control up there.

All in all, I'd say for my first fiberglass job everything worked out pretty well. We'll see how it cures up overnight. Plan will be to sand down the stitching and scuff up the cured epoxy then apply the wide cloth.

Hindsight being 20/20, if I'd prepared the cloth ahead of time, I would have been able to continue on to that part. This being my first big glass job I wasn't sure how long it would take, though.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looking really nice, very neat! Check your recoat time before you sand, may not need to do any scuffing/sanding before you lay the cloth. The Silvertip gives you 72 hour re-coat time without sanding.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Good call! I'll check on that for the MarinEpoxy. I'm going on an overnight trip tomorrow, but I'll be back Sunday. Might still have time.