CK17 - the wife’s not named it yet -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CK17 - the wife’s not named it yet -- on indefinite pause :(

Post by Jaysen »

Just pulled the trigger on plans acquisition for the Mrs requested hull. “I would like something simple to sail and build but big enough for me to be comfortable in. I want to camp in the creeks and go up the outside (she means out side the barriers to move up the shoreline vs run the marsh creeks). And you need to be able to take me places quietly when we can’t sail.”

Plan is to get her built over the winter so we can send summer weekends on the water. Livery will match Lil Bit.

Current todo list:
  • Create build space.
  • Clean out shed for parts storage and layout.
  • Finish forum upgrade.
  • Find camera.
  • Build mast suspendible hammock that is “wife approved”.
  • Acquire build parts not available at BBC.
  • Save pennies for plywood, glass and epoxy
For those curious, the 580 is still planned. This hull is a precursor to get better at glass work and to get more miles on the logbook. Losing access to the J30 took a big chunk out of my planned log entries 😩
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CK17 - the wife’s not named it yet

Post by pee wee »

Looks like a good choice for camping.

A look at the study plans shows you can put an outboard on it, but what size? Under study plan Options it says max 6 h.p., but Specifications says recommended 90 h.p., max 125!! No mention of seatbelts . . :roll: Might want to add some biaxial on the hull bottom panels if you go that route.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mrs is almost as anti-ice as I am. We will have the following “no sail propulsion options:
1. Skulling oar. Never done this. Time to learn.
2. Electric outboard. Need it for the 580. Going with whatever is equivalent of 6hp. Will only be used for high flow water channels or busy waterways.

I considered standard oars but it’s a problem in lil bit. When ailing they are in the way. Even stowed. The extra space on the ck17 might solve that problem. So would only having one oar. 😁
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I'll be watching this one closely as the CK is on my short list for next boat (not counting the kayaks and canoe I have started that I still need to finish!). The wife and I are taking sailing lessons next year and I want an easy to sail boat that can haul us around with the three little ones and it looks like the CK will have the room to do that while letting us develop our sailing skills in preparation for a larger sailboat for when our youngest graduates in eight years and we take a summer off to circle FL and spend some time exploring the Bahams.

Anyway, enough of my rambling thoughts for the day. I'm sure this boat will turn out great and I look forward to watching the process.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Oh, BTW. I think the CK is wide enough that you could easily build some oar racks and hold one on each side for storage when sailing and not be in the way.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:38 am Mrs is almost as anti-ice as I am.
Sorry Jaysen, I knew you weren't interested in a big stinking motor, I just saw what I assumed was a mistake in the study plans. It's possible some calculations show you could run a 125; hard to imagine, though.

I've started looking at day sailer plans myself; the CK17 is more boat than I was thinking of, but it may deserve another look.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 am [quote=Jaysen post_id=480447 time=<a href="tel:1604237933">1604237933</a> user_id=79239]
Mrs is almost as anti-ice as I am.
Sorry Jaysen, I knew you weren't interested in a big stinking motor, I just saw what I assumed was a mistake in the study plans. It's possible some calculations show you could run a 125; hard to imagine, though.

I've started looking at day sailer plans myself; the CK17 is more boat than I was thinking of, but it may deserve another look.
[/quote]
I saw that too can chuckled. Didn’t think to mention it. Could you imagine a 17’ light sharpie brim pushed by a 125? It’s the kind of stupid I would do, and even I’m thinking that would be a bad idea.

The ck17 is actually simple to sail on paper. Under way it is 2 sheets and the tiller. Much simpler than a job as the main doesn’t need sheet moved like a jib. The unstayed masts are simple to step/unstep. The sprit makes things a bit nicer on noggings as you don’t need to worry about booms to the cranium as much. Both sails reefable and using halyards for traditional raising/lowering. From a straight up sailing perspective it’s hard to find a downside.

The 17’ length will keep the hull spirited but the flat bottom will keep it stable and a bit less tender than a daysailer with deeper hull. The cat rigging makes throwing a tarp over a sprit for cover simple and the size of the forward cockpit (between masts vs forward deck) easily accommodates larger air mattresses making the CK more spacious than most daysailers under 25’. It’s easy to find room for portable stove, chem toilet and ice chest. All standard ways of handling life in sub-25’ blow boats.

The I love you thing she’s lacking is weather shelter under way. To that I say “forecast and foulies”. If you watch the forecast you should miss most need for shelter. And if you have some basic foulies you probably won’t miss the shelter for the surprise squall or two. The plans clearly show enough dry storage for all the gear and supplies for a weekend as well as dry storage for normal sailing gear (foulies, safety, motor, spare line, etc).

As much as I would love to build a VG or AD hull, I just can’t justify the cost or complexity given the simplicity and functionality of the CK17.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Be good to see you building another boat. I need some entertainment over the winter :lol:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice! Looking forward to following

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

A7BA7B2A-85A8-4614-A6AE-57ED883174A0.jpeg
Dang those papers have some sexy lines on them. Mrs is all giggly. Also pushing me to move faster.

I think I’m in trouble.