FS 14 Build Malaysia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS 14 Build Malaysia

Post by SILENT WISH »

Started building the FS 14 on 11/5/20 with Marine Ply BS1088
Attachments
1. Cutting Bottom Panel.jpg
2. Joining Bottom Panels.jpg
3. Joining Side Panels.jpg
4. Transom.jpg
5. Stringers.jpg
6. Cutting the Frames.jpg
7. Strongback.jpg
8. Assembling the Frames.jpg
9. Botton panel fitted on top.jpg

SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 14 Build Malaysia

Post by SILENT WISH »

Hi Guys, I have a question.
Managed to trim the bottom panel and now it fits on the frames nicely.
However there is a large gap of about 1/2 " in the center line (where the white tape is)
Do I just fill it up with epoxy or I need to put some strips of plywood in between and then epoxy.
The panels are now held down with temporary screws

Bernard
Attachments
11. Bottom Panel Front view.jpg
10. Bottom Panel on Frames.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You need to take those screws out that are holding the hull to the molds, it's okay to place some screws into the transom edges but not anywhere else. Loosely tie all the panels together with wire or zip ties and work them bit by bit until you get a fair hull with minimal gaps between panels. If a gap develops between the hull and the molds, it's not as important as the fit of the panels and the shape of the hull.
Hank

SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SILENT WISH »

pee wee wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am You need to take those screws out that are holding the hull to the molds, it's okay to place some screws into the transom edges but not anywhere else. Loosely tie all the panels together with wire or zip ties and work them bit by bit until you get a fair hull with minimal gaps between panels. If a gap develops between the hull and the molds, it's not as important as the fit of the panels and the shape of the hull.
Thank you Hank. I will try that again. Wasn't sure if the gap was due to fitting or to the hand drawn and hand cutting of the panels and some errors made. Other than that everything else looks ok to the eye.

Bernard

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

SILENT WISH wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:19 am Other than that everything else looks ok to the eye.

Bernard
Yes, it looks good so far, but those sides need to be in place to really tell how it's going. Don't re-cut any of the panels until you've got things together and it just won't fit. Post pictures and ask for advice, this is a critical stage for your boat.
Hank

SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SILENT WISH »

Good advice from Hank.
Took out the screws and realigned the panels again, instead of taking the easy way out and filling up with epoxy.
Apparently my curves drawn was not so correct and had to trim the inside edges again. It looks much better now and I like the sharper V at he bow.
Another thing when I got in today, I found all the gaps were wider due to the hot midday sun and expansion of the wood. I knew something was not right.
Hopefully the shape stays intact tomorrow.
Bernard
Attachments
12. Bottom Realigned.jpg

SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SILENT WISH »

Can someone help me with this.

Where do you place the water line and how do you draw it. I mean the angle and the position of the line.
Attachments
13 SIDE PANELS.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I made sure the boat was level (i.e. the stringers were level). Then I used a cheapo laser to draw the line. A simple bubble level would have worked just as well. A clear tube with water in it. One end at the bow and move forward in increments with the other end to mark the line.

Dougster

SILENT WISH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SILENT WISH »

Thank you Dougster.
So the water line is parallel to the stringers.
I put a red line representing the water line.
The blue line is where I will paint the anti fouling.
It looks ok but welcome any more advice.
I know I have not done the fiber glassing yet but wanted to see how far up I should fiber glass.

Regards,
Bernard
Attachments
13 SIDE PANELS water line.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

You might do a search on waterlines. It seems I remember some people angle theirs up a bit at the bow, for looks. Just a little I would think, not sure. Somebody else will chime in I bet.

Dougster