Plastic drinking cup measuring hack

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Plastic drinking cup measuring hack

Post by Dan_Smullen »

If this is old news t you guys, you have saved a bunch in plastic cups.

Up until today, I would use 3 cups every time I mixed 2:1 epoxy, using the molded lines on the cup as gauges.

Short work with a measuring cup in the kitchen allowed me to make some simple 2:1 marks on one cup, which I will keep as a guide.

9 oz mix is a fairly hefty batch especially after adding cabosil and wood flour for gluing things together.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Plastic drinking cup measuring hack

Post by fallguy1000 »

I wash them out with acetone and forget now n then, but into year 4, I'd say $200 in buckets. It always annoys me how much we toss out in general trash.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is a good tip with the cups. Fast, easy and accurate way to make 9 oz batches.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Took awhile to find this thread, but this is how I mixed all my epoxy and never had a bad batch:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25065&p=228292&hili ... xy#p228292
Completed: FL14, OD18

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have always used a scale and a single cup per batch. Makes it very easy to use different size cups for different batch sizes. And using a single cup to measure and mix I can pop out the harden mix and reuse the cup if needed.

I eat a lot of take out soups and save the bowls the soup comes in and are handy for bigger batches and when mixing two part foam. They also work for paint. You just have to make sure you wash and dry them well. They also stack tightly together.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Larry B wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:17 am Took awhile to find this thread, but this is how I mixed all my epoxy and never had a bad batch:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25065&p=228292&hili ... xy#p228292
I like that method of yours Larry. I'd use it for a 2:1 or even a 3:1. But WEST is a 5:1. I use metered pumps and a digital scale, either at the start as a check or throughout for getting the optimum ratio.

Put cup on scale, tare it, pump hardener, multiply by 6.4 (5.4:1 by weight for WEST 206) and pump resin until the total weight is as indicated. It's not hard if you don't mind the maths. 95% of the time the pumps are bang on. Only time they've ever been out enough to matter was because of low levels in the jug.