Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jeff »

Wow, 5 feet really??? Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 am Wow, 5 feet really??? Jeff
4.17' per plan. I like to add a foot just to keep me out of trouble. It's not like I stuck a J30 on dry land or anything...

I also need to get a keel inspection done as there are rumors that SOME of them were extended. Based on my measurements in the hull, I may have the longer fin. The "shoal keel" hull had the fin start under the V and terminate mid "void". My keel appears to start just at the mast compression post and terminates just forward of the companion way. The narrower but longer keel was then able to be swapped with a winged keel (I can not determine from what source but I've seen photos of 2).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OK!!! Learn something everyday!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

good fun!
will it be a mostly weekend type thing or you plan on longer trips with it or what is the plan?
any chance of doing the great loop or is it too small for that long a stint? if its a chance, then electric propulsion might not be that great an idea.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No interest in “loop”. All saltwater for us. And as much under wind as possible.

I can see us spending a month on board. Pick down in a harbor. Sightseeing and fishing. Really just a floating RV when you get down to it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Trying to identify the connectors used to disconnect the mast wiring from the hull. I think these from West Marine are the same.

Here is one that I removed from the hull (wires pulled out before I touched it :| )

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You have only had it a few weeks and you already broke it :help: :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm You have only had it a few weeks and you already broke it :help: :roll:
No no no no no. You can’t pin that on me. It was like that when I got it. Mrs agrees to that story.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The void. As you can see, there is no engine.

I removed a crap ton of unconnected wire. Re rigged the battery management stuff. The red blur in the upper left is a outboard fuel tank. It is sitting on the proper, factory built battery locations. Tank will be moved to a mounting location further back allowing bats to “go home”. Current battery location will then be opened up for backup gear and tool storage. Also likely to be the anchor stowage.

Before y’all say I’m slow upstairs, that whole section can be reached via the starboard lazerette. In nirvana, I’d be able to deploy and retrieve anchor entirely from the cockpit. I’ve a couple bad ideas to make that happen.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

DUDE............only because you are handy to have around sometimes, get that portable fuel tank OUT of there :!: :help: