Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

I’d like to put a proper tank on the tank platform at the end of the void. 2 problems with that plan:
1. No way to fill/vent proper tank
2. No fuel gauge location.

The “problem” with moving it elsewhere is simply the fact that every location is just as bad. Port lazerette is directly in the cabin. Starboard opens to the void (actually where the tank is accessed from). I’ve thought about glassing a compartment in the starboard side but I wind up with either taking the whole lazerette or having the same issue since there is only one hatch.

Open to suggestions.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:45 pm In nirvana, I’d be able to deploy and retrieve anchor entirely from the cockpit. I’ve a couple bad ideas to make that happen.
I assume you're not talking about a remotely controlled electric windlass. I'm staying tuned! I occasionally will practice sailing on/off the hook on a lee shore, solo. Getting from the bow to the cockpit, quickly, is probably the most dangerous piece of the exercise. The ability to raise the anchor from the cockpit would probably make that scenario 100 times safer. Have not yet figured out how to do it with my all-chain rode.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

All chain will be tough!

Here’s what I’m thinking. Have a 20’, 3/4” line from bow cleat to cockpit hook. Cockpit end has ring. Anchor, chain and rhode stored in cockpit locker. Chain through ring, shackle to anchor (assume rhode to chain perm) toss anchor over.

Here’s where I’m stuck. Somehow I need to put a stopper on the rhode to keep it from running through the ring once desired scope is out. That will then put the point of anchor back on the bow cleat keep orientation proper. Cleat off at mid cleat and done.

Retrieve is just reverse. I assume that the bow line will come back with first shackle it encounters.

My other option I was thinking was a roller fairlead. At that point it is no different than any other remote system.

That’s my idea anyway.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 pm Somehow I need to put a stopper on the rode to keep it from running through the ring once desired scope is out.
There's a simple formula to determine the correct amount of rode to put out for a given anchoring scenario:

1. take the number of feet of rode you have, and
2. put it out.

;)

If you go with that formula, you can just add a shackle or something at the "end" of the scope and you're done.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Since I need to be prepared for 60+ feet of water I'll have a couple hundred feet of nylon rhode on board. was thinking that I could use something like your solution but with a bowline on the rhode to hold a shackle like thing. I have concern about boat orientation when you start to pull anchor. Time will tell.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:05 pm I have concern about boat orientation when you start to pull anchor.
I was thinking about this too. Could be a real trick in a sea/wind. Maybe snug the ring to the bow first. Maybe the ring needs to be on a messenger line that runs between the bow to the cockpit.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:10 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:05 pm I have concern about boat orientation when you start to pull anchor.
I was thinking about this too. Could be a real trick in a sea/wind. Maybe snug the ring to the bow first. Maybe the ring needs to be on a messenger line that runs between the bow to the cockpit.
That was what I was trying to avoid. There are a lot of running rigging already running on the limited deck space. I was hoping to use a static line to keep it entirely off the deck underway. I's also have to make sure the messenger was terminated at a "strong point" aft to allow for the inevitable time when the aft termination takes most of the load.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 pm
That was what I was trying to avoid. There are a lot of running rigging already running on the limited deck space. I was hoping to use a static line to keep it entirely off the deck underway. I's also have to make sure the messenger was terminated at a "strong point" aft to allow for the inevitable time when the aft termination takes most of the load.
Your fairlead at the bow idea is starting to sound more attractive. With a rope rode, stored aft, you could use a jib winch as a windlass.

Did that boat have an atomic or a diesel in it? That photo of the battery, wires and fuel tank does look a bit like a "before" photo in a BoatUsa article, good on ya for making it a high priority.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:38 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 pm

Your fairlead at the bow idea is starting to sound more attractive. With a rope rode, stored aft, you could use a jib winch as a windlass.

Did that boat have an atomic or a diesel in it? That photo of the battery, wires and fuel tank does look a bit like a "before" photo in a BoatUsa article, good on ya for making it a high priority.
Fairlead will still required lots of "junk" on the deck and a trip forward to stow anchor. my jib chainplate prevents a proper anchor fairlead. I'd windup dragging chain over the deck then have the anchor smashing the side. A second thought to make the fairlead idea work is that I have a "retrieval line" secured aft with ring over rhode (opposite of current plan). When chain hits deck, pull chain and anchor to cockpit, release rhode from winch and stow. Requires two trips forward but can be timed better
1. insert rhode into fairlead prior to deploy (boat can be self piloting)
2. remove rhode from fairlead post retrieve (self piloting)
Not a fan of that but....

I have two stories. One is an atomic 5, the other a Perkins. I'm waiting on the title to get the original build data. My plan is to buy a custom tank from Jeff, put it on the fuel platform (still installed) and send in though the EXISTING transom gland to a new Tohatsu 6 or 8 HP XL shaft (have a 6hp that I'm going to test with before acquisition). The one good thing... there are blowers on the transom (supports orig inboard being atomic) and some power venting up front. never smells of any fuel vapor in the void (or cabin). But I will be pulling that can out this weekend.

I'm hoping to pull batts this weekend and start the clean up and replacement of rusted out "parts". If I can get that completed then we are only one motor away from a day of sailing.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:18 pm my jib chainplate prevents a proper anchor fairlead.
My C&C has a similar issue with the chainplate so I ended up running the bow roller kind of parallel to the starboard sheer instead of down the centerline. Works fine, looks a little wonky. When my nephew saw it he thought it was just poor workmanship, I had to convince him that in this specific case, it was intentional.
Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:18 pm
a new Tohatsu 6 or 8 HP XL shaft (have a 6hp that I'm going to test with before acquisition).
That will be sweet. Lot simpler to service and care for those than an inboard anything! My last boat, 22' Leisure from England, had a 6hp Lister-Petter dsl, 70's, thumper. All the potential buyers were worried about parts etc and how well that motor would work. I always responded "First of all, it will outlast us both, and second, if it does have issues, make it a mooring anchor and put a Honda outboard on it". Man that boat was a PIG!