HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Drug the outriggers out to repair the mounting brackets I damaged when removing the canoe last fall. Heard some water sloshing inside....... Rear compartments in both sides.... :(

I need to cut them open and see what I find. Landon crawled under and found exposed wood at the bottom of the rudder hinge, so maybe I did more damage when I ripped off the rudders than I realized... Will have to see.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Finally got time to cut them open. Cut 6in holes in each rear compartment. Port side was about half full of water and starboard 1/4 full.
20220520_191036.jpg

20220520_192108.jpg
20220520_192128.jpg
The port side I can see what looks like a screw hole, I'm guessing from holding down the hinges while I was epoxying them to the outside... I thought I had filled all those holes really well, but apparently not. I don't see anything obvious on the starboard side but probably something similar.

Will let it air out a few days and think about it. Probably a good coat of epoxy inside, and real close attention on the outside esp where Landon saw some bared wood on bottom corners though I think that's just abrasion... Still good to fix it.

Then I have the huge holes I cut on the tops... Maybe make some plates to glue over with 5200 so they are watertight but can easily be cut off for inspection if needed.

Open to simple suggestions :)

This evening the wind was perfect to have been out playing around in the bay with it... So I'd like to get it fixed up and ready :)