HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm If there is not enough adjustment in the turnbuckles it might be easier to use lashings in a boat of that size.
Good idea, or maybe a combination of both.... Will see if /when I need to do more adjustments.

Got 2 coats of white sprayed on the boards and cases, so painting is done, just aluminum and assembly remain. Ran out of mixed paint on the cases and decided "it's not an art project" and called it done and cleaned the gun.

My wife asked me, "why do you keep saying that?" And I said, "saying what?"...... "It's not an art project"........ Guess I'm struggling with not making it perfect more than I realized :p

Lake was nice so we went trolling. We each got a lake trout, wife got first one, I got smallest and Landon got largest. Brutus gave them all a loving lick on the nose before sending them back.
20210730_061501.jpg
20210729_201424.jpg
20210729_201942.jpg
20210729_201944.jpg
20210729_201953.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

NICE TROUT!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Almost there!!!! Got everything installed and most of the rigging done. The bungee material I ordered hasn't come yet, not sure if I wait or rig something else up.....

The traveler is super smooth and I'm happy with it. Was running out of pullies so used the amazon block and tackle kit for the sheets even though it's more leverage than I need.

The rudder retracts work great at 2:1 but I was hoping to link them together.... Too heavy together so will stick to retracting them separately. The leeboard wouldn't lift at 2:1 and is 'okish' at 4:1, hopefully the bungee down on rudders and board don't make them too difficult to lift, I think rudders will be ok but may end up needing to adjust the leeboard both down and up and not just up like the rudders..... Will see.

My biggest struggle was the rudder steering, I think I made my arms too short, but have an idea to change the linkage on them to 3:1 which should hopefully be 'just right'.

Of course life is always there distracting. We got the boarders of our new patios poured this weekend, hopefully main pads today or tomorrow. I haven't needed to help much, the guys doing it are great, but always try to be around if needed without micromanaging a project I don't know how to do.
20210801_210117.jpg
20210801_211121.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, She looks really good!! Any idea on completed weight?? Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 pm Narfi, She looks really good!! Any idea on completed weight?? Jeff
Rough guess is 350lbs with the canoe, outriggers, mast, boom, beams and boards..... honestly dont know though..... I think it should still float :P

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Not bad Narfi!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That looks really, really slick/professional Narfi, great work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

Can't wait for the launch.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I agree Cape Man!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Just need bungee material to hold down the rudders and leeboard. (Got a cord tied to the leeboard so can do a trial run without kick up safety, hopefully find two crappy old bungees around the village somewhere for the rudders untill the good stuff shows up.)

It's heavy but the hand truck wheels I got for the canoe seems to hold it up.... Too tippy for the ~mile treck down the gravel runway to the water though..... Thinking I'll just make 2x4 'V's to strap to the bottoms of the outriggers to work as skids.

Maybe today but it's looking pretty busy so might not be till tomorrow. The cement truck we were going to use yesterday for the patios was broke down and the 1yrd mixer in the village was in use, so today hopefully pouring front patio today and back tomorrow... Cutting it close, I blocked off a week for our Airbnb and guests arrive tomorrow....... Hopefully they can get to the front door o.0
20210803_061650.jpg