HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by Jaysen »

It’s not an art project. Sail it!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Last two nights my plan was to put the mast up, but been busy and wife wanted to go out in the boat, it will get there :)
Thought I would share my misery this morning, traffic jam during my 15 minute walk to work today I saw 1 other walker and a jogger, no vehicles though :P
20210723_064017.jpg
20210723_063239.jpg
and this is what our bnb guests saw walking a mile or so from our house yesterday,

https://youtu.be/3xVaSNOXsl8

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful morning Narfi!!! Love the wildlife on the road!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Got the mast up. Not a lot of adjustment on the cheap turn buckles I got....... This is second attempt. First try was close, I calculated the length of the shrouds and hooked them up, left the forestay super long, basically just a rope fory wife to pull on while I lifted, pinned the base hinge and put it up in place. First try was a little to far forward to adjust back with the shroud turn buckles. Screws holding the baseplate to the mast were too short and a couple pulled out from pulling forward too far. We took it down and I put longer screws in. Will see, I may end up needing to reinforce those attachments somehow if I raise and lower it alot.... For now they work well as pins to hold it in place....

As you can see in the picture it's raked back a little now, this is with the forestay turnbuckle turned down all the way and the shrouds roughly half.... Maybe I can get the front tighter in place tomorrow, or maybe I'll take it down and adjust. Or maybe I'll leave it.... Not sure yet.

Still need to sand/clean out the track on the boom and get it ready to install.

Couldn't help ourselves, had to lift the sail and see how it looked. I was super happy with how easily it went up and when done it literally fell back down from its own weight. The diy track and the slugs I installed on the sail seem to work really well together.

I had originally planned to mount the mast lower in the canoe as well as leave room to upgrade to a larger sail..... Kind of looks funny with so much mast sticking above the sail, but maybe a good excuse to get a flag to fly above it.
20210723_203231.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Use the jib halyard to raid the mast. Typically you would also put a whisker pole in the lower third with the halyard run through the outside eye. This gives you some initial advantage. Look up “deck stepped mast raising” and you should see some pics.

The rake looks right. Great job. Can wait to see you ripping around on the water!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Narfi, she looks great!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Boom done, downhaul and outhaul and two halyards set up with cleats to tie to.

Now that the boom and mast are out of the tent I can clean up a bit and make room to finish the boards and cases. Then rigging them and the traveler and sheet system.
20210724_180516.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

My wife came out and helped me tidy up the tent and table. Ready for the final push on boards and cases now.
Then roasted sausages around our fire pit and s'mores and stories with guests at our bnb.
20210725_175009.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Rudders, leeboard and rudder cases primed with 2 coats, ready to paint tomorrow.
That's all the composite parts, just aluminium parts left to make and not painting them..... Maybe in the water this weekend if all goes perfectly, next week if not.
20210728_191021.jpg

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

If there is not enough adjustment in the turnbuckles it might be easier to use lashings in a boat of that size.