How to archive your builds to your own system

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

How to archive your builds to your own system

Post by Jaysen »

Copied from a PM series with Chenier
I added a module that I had be testing that enables "print all" for a topic (thread). It "should' address the need for folks to make their own archive.

The issues with formatting though are really safari problems. WebKit (the core of safari) dictates the page-brakes and such. The solution is to "not use" safari to print. I found the best method requires the new module (and you will need a lot of paper is you actually print it). I'm a Mac guy so I'll provide the directions I think you need.

1. go to your topic (thread)
2. click the wrench drop down and select print all
3. once the page is fully loaded, cmd-s (save as from the file menu) and save to disk.
4. in finder locate your file (it will end with "webarchive")
5. control-click the icon to get the pop-up menu for finder options
6. select "open with" and then "text edit".

At this point you have the thread open in a tool that can properly paginate. At this point I recommend using the file->save as to pick a format like RTF that can be used in many different tools. You can also use text edit to export to PDF in a usable format.
These instructions are very specific to Apple Macintosh users. Once I have a similar options for windows users (or one of you windows people provides steps) I will create a full page just for this topic.

Let me know if there are any questions.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: How to archive your builds to your own system

Post by fallguy1000 »

Very cool. Do you know if you can sticky a comment within a thread? So, let's say you make this post and the meat of it is your comment and idiots like me coin in. Is there a way your comment always stays on top?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:19 am Very cool. Do you know if you can sticky a comment within a thread? So, let's say you make this post and the meat of it is your comment and idiots like me coin in. Is there a way your comment always stays on top?
This topic should stay at the top of the forum that it is in (I set it that way). You really can't do that with an individual post (your post for example) as the idea of the forum is to show the sequential conversation. What I can do is segment comments into a different thread. For example I could move all the power discussion out of the GoM Fishing thread and into the solar thread. ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

This is great! If you have a long build it will take a while to load all the pictures and save. I suspect if you tried it on the skinnydip thread you would just turn your computer into a space heater. I was able to save both a local html version and a pdf version of my entire 40 page build and it included the first picture from each imgur album I posted. No way to get it to include the other pictures from each album which I expected but in hindsight I should have done individual pictures instead.

Thanks for adding this feature.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

joe2700 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:28 am This is great! If you have a long build it will take a while to load all the pictures and save. I suspect if you tried it on the skinnydip thread you would just turn your computer into a space heater. I was able to save both a local html version and a pdf version of my entire 40 page build and it included the first picture from each imgur album I posted. No way to get it to include the other pictures from each album which I expected but in hindsight I should have done individual pictures instead.

Thanks for adding this feature.
The skinnydip thread should only take about 48secs to fully download (that's what I timed it to take on my 10mb DSL). If you actually pretend to print it, it's about a metric butt load of paper (3,070 pages).

The Imgur issue is actually a Imgur problem. You can always move the images to the galleries here and then update your thread. There really isn't any way for us to address that on our side.

You're welcome.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Jaysen. The wife is an Apple girl. I'll try to down load my thread when I can talk her into it. She spends all day, everyday on the computer so down time work is a bit of a push... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Larry deleting his No Excuse thread with a single action (after a few drinks and a row here), never to be seen again, has always made me want to back mine up somewhere...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 pm Larry deleting his No Excuse thread with a single action (after a few drinks and a row here), never to be seen again, has always made me want to back mine up somewhere...
I remember that. It was not a good day. I'm still looking for a "delete requires approval" option that doesn't require Jeff to pay me so sit at the computer and approve deletion of everyone's double posts (thank you to all of you who use that delete option).

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I use firefox on windows. I just hit Print All from the wrench and then from the Firefox menu click Save As |Complete HTML. Done.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm I use firefox on windows. I just hit Print All from the wrench and then from the Firefox menu click Save As |Complete HTML. Done.
If you look at a print preview does it paginate properly? We have seen that some browsers split a photo over two pages or add odd formatting. The work around is to load the saved web archive into a WYSIWYG tool to reset pagination.