Plywood Suppliers (South FL and the Keys)

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Plywood Suppliers (South FL and the Keys)

Post by Mojosmantra »

Hey Guys - I'm new here and about to embark on my first build (FS14LS). I will order my epoxy/glass kit from BBC and probably the plywood too, but I did want to investigate avoiding the freight shipping charges for the ply. I'm in the Keys and BBC is so close yet so far for local pickup. I've called the lumber yards here in the Keys and marine ply (the right kind anyway) is surprisingly not something they stock. I am also very familiar with Shell Lumber in Miami and their website advertises several different thicknesses of marine ply. However, there's no info on what type it is and the customer service folks aren't much help in that regard. I do travel to Miami frequently so picking it up there is no issue, but still wouldn't know if I was getting the right type of ply. So, wondering if anyone if familiar with what type of ply Shell Lumber stocks?

In the end, I have no issue with ordering from BBC, but you can't blame a guy for trying to save a couple of hundred bucks in shipping charges.

Thanks for any input,

Trent

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Plywood Suppliers (South FL and the Keys)

Post by joe2700 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:02 am Hey Guys - I'm new here and about to embark on my first build (FS14LS). I will order my epoxy/glass kit from BBC and probably the plywood too, but I did want to investigate avoiding the freight shipping charges for the ply. I'm in the Keys and BBC is so close yet so far for local pickup. I've called the lumber yards here in the Keys and marine ply (the right kind anyway) is surprisingly not something they stock. I am also very familiar with Shell Lumber in Miami and their website advertises several different thicknesses of marine ply. However, there's no info on what type it is and the customer service folks aren't much help in that regard. I do travel to Miami frequently so picking it up there is no issue, but still wouldn't know if I was getting the right type of ply. So, wondering if anyone if familiar with what type of ply Shell Lumber stocks?

In the end, I have no issue with ordering from BBC, but you can't blame a guy for trying to save a couple of hundred bucks in shipping charges.

Thanks for any input,

Trent
Love the shop here but also bought my plywood locally both to save money on shipping, but also I kept needing more here and there so it was easier not to have to know exactly what I needed form the start. So I understand wanting to buy local. That said, I would not buy from any place that doesn't even know what they are selling. It's important to get the right stuff, find someone who knows what they are selling you. As an example here is the page from the place I buy from in the Northeast: https://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm You see exactly what you are getting with the certification. The sheets are all stamped with the certification as expected. Good luck finding your ply!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Uhaul has a trailer pickup right down the road from BBC. You can also rent a truck from them. Ask me how I know :) My plan is to rent the basic 4x8 from them and then drag it back to my place in SC. Bonus is getting to meet Jeff, Reid, and crew in person. In my case, the cost of shipping is more than the cost of the trip (I have family that I will visit offsetting some cost).

Keep in mind that you don't need fancy wood for "everything". Save the expensive wood for things that need it. If you aren't getting the CNC kit then get 2 extra sheets of hull/stringer ply. You will use it for miscellaneous "things" if you don't need it due to a miscut on a hull panel or stringer (longest parts).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You are looking for marine ply that is stamped with BS1088. Okume and Meranti are both tropical species that they sell here, but fir can also be found with the BS1088 certification. That certification attests to the lack of voids, especially on the interior, and the quality of the adhesive holding them together. Do not use just any "marine" ply, as a lot of it is only meant to be in and around the marine environment, not keep your boat afloat.

Fort Pierce is only a few more hours past Miami, and the BBC shop is convenient to the Turnpike or I-95.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's very helpful to know the spec (BS1088) to look out for. FYI, I did find another supplier in Fort Lauderdale, but let's just say that BBC is the way to go based on the price I was quoted.

Thanks again.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I can source it locally here in the Tampa Bay area, but the 3 hour trip across the state is always nice and always good to say hey to Jeff and Reid.

If you know anyone in the cabinet business they may be able to add it to their next order of materials. Same people that wholesale fine ply for cabinets usually carry Okume and Meranti as well. That's how I got it for the first boat, but only saved about $20 versus ordering it here and paying shipping.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Also if your buying BS1088 you need to know where they are getting it from, you do not want the Chinese stuff make sure it is from Indonesia. While I know it would be another two hours up to Vero Beach, it might be worth it to meet the guys and get exactly what you need. You can make it a fun trip and avoid any shipping costs and probably get a much better price than you will in Miami. Something to think about. Maybe you can borrow a buddies pick up. Shipping to NC only cost me 275 bucks 15 years ago. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you budget will allow it I would make the drive and pick up every thing you need at one time. And I would pick up a couple extra sheets of plywood. Never know if you might miss cut something or want to add something. Some extra glass and resin would be a good move also.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Generic marine ply in north america could just as well be douglas fir. Strong but not resistant to checking and heavy.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24