LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB26

Post by fallguy1000 »

The boat may make a very pleasant gurgle idling at the dock this way.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning

I have attached a sketch of what I physically have.

I have read the Nanni installation manual again... It clearly says that the through hull outlet must be a minimum 200mm above DWL and the top of the gooseneck bend must be a minimum of 350 above DWL. So I ignore the Nanni manual ! water at some stage gets into the engine Nanni technician comes and investigates and says sorry sir your outlet is below our recommended 200mm level... I end up with a third of a ton of scrap metal sitting in the bottom of my boat....20k !!!

Also even if I were to place it this would be dead centre of my platform solid glass support. When building this was not an issue as the drawing as I read it shows the 222mm above DWL.

The other problem is that to make a 180 degree gooseneck with a very inflexible hose and then turn it 90 degrees through the hull is very difficult with only a 150mm transom...

The bottom line is in my view I have to follow Nanni installation manual to comply with the warranty.

So I would be grateful for any help with the fact that the exit through hull has to go above platform and will no doubt stain the platform !!!

Cheers Dan for your input so far.

Les
2950CDE2-B163-44F0-B3AA-0A2052D1503C.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Any reason you can’t exit the side vs the transom?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Hi Jaysen

You must have been reading my mind... I have just read more in the installation manual and have found more info ( see below )
It says that the exhaust should not exit through the stern as it causes a situation where the vapours come back in the boat.... I have to say I have noticed this many times.

Open to all !!!

Cheers

Les
06B8EE28-6E1B-4AB3-8EA3-AC0C0B15D864.jpeg
06B8EE28-6E1B-4AB3-8EA3-AC0C0B15D864.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My experience working as a dock hand… trawlers tended to have “high and out the side” exhaust (compared to sportfish). I saw more than one that literally had stacks out the top about 12’ off the deck. Those had the stacks insulated and routed inside the cabin walls.

If it were me, I’d do something that had the exhaust well away from my nose. I like the high stacks it I think it could be difficult.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Certainly lots of choices. I'd prefer under the swim; gurgling along at startup if loaded up.

I get rather annoyed at the corporate world which seeks every reason to escape all liability, but I understand the your boat; your choice rule.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Make sure to follow the manufacturers guidelines. A poorly designed wet exhaust is a regular killer of marine engines. The reason for not going out the transom is to avoid the "station wagon" effect. Wet exhaust out the side is very common. Lots of fishing boats around here are going to wet exhaust lately.

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Cheers Dan / Fuzz

Well ..... My gut tells me stick to what Nanni instruct ! but it has now taken 6 days to get an answer from a Nanni Technician in the UK and the supplier of the engine in Greece, they both say take it out of the stern but must be minimum of 150mm above loaded water line. Greek technician says put it on the water line or even slightly below :x :x :x

So if I take it out of the stern it comes out as per my attached sketch, right inline with the swim platform. This would be a right b_ _ _ _ _ D to move as I have the S/S brackets already made and solid glass strips fixed to hull.

So my question is can I use some type of 90 degree bend to divert the exhaust waste down ???

Appreciate any advice....

Cheers

Les
B0182819-7C61-467D-94F3-1E41DB3F2985.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Cheers Dan

Ευχαριστώ πολύ

I can always rely on you to make my decisions harder :D :D :D :help:

I think I will try and find a turn down through hull exit and stick it out the back down through the platform.

Les