LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB26

Post by fallguy1000 »

I love the gurgling sound of an inboard spillin water.

I have a dumb guy question.

Can this boat use a freshwater cooling system, so you never run saltwater through the Nanni and only an exchanger?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning Guys

Sorry for the lack of posts, the old back decided to give way again so not much work done in the boat shed...

Dan I have a dumb answer ! you have got me there I can not find any info at all on fresh water intake to the engine, I have asked questions and no replies.

I have started to install the Fuel tank / waste tank / water tank and general plumbing and ducting. Now waiting for my back to get better a parts to arrive, it has been the Athens boat show so all suppliers had closed down !!!

I feel like I my have a barrage of questions over the next few weeks as I am going off piste.... :help:

1st I have attached a couple of sections out of the Nanni installation manual. I can see how I get the air into the engine compartment but exiting the warm air I not sure how this can be achieved as per the top box of the attached ?
6828C1EB-9329-4872-8947-840754CA01D4.jpeg
2nd Air vent on the fuel tank, does this just have to vented outside the tank compartment or through the hull ? the manual shows a diagram that suggests the vent just goes through the bulk head.

I will attach some photos of progress, I have started to position ducts with draw cords along with the tank plumbing etc. I hope to get back at it later this week :lol:

Cheers

Les

BD6C3AEE-47BE-43CD-BE84-E71FE700FA93.jpeg
2DE1A164-59C7-41D2-9594-4A266AEC239C.jpeg

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Yes I got it wrong again !!!!

Nanni details
4113A317-D317-4DBC-8AAD-8757F48FBC66.jpeg
C32F1474-4028-41E5-94F2-955D8C1CE7CC.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would think your air outlet would be on the top deck,
/gunwhale aft section of the boat and covered with a clam shell. You can opt to add two clamshells for looks, but the intake does not need to be the same place. I wpuld put it off the back so that engine noise coming from the intake is behind the engine and not by you...

The intake needs to consider noise. All the air intakes I have seen were in the doghouses. Running any engine air into the cuddy is a bad error. So, I would intake from under the aft deck and outflow on the deck top.

For safety, I would install a CO detector that has a meter somewhere near the helm to make sure any exhaust leak (a 20 year from now failure, for example) is not sucked back onboard by simple vacuum created by the cabin and movement of the boat.

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning All

Dan, thanks for the reply. I have attached details from the drawings and spec that relates to this issue. Jacques if you are around can you please help with the following.
AF540C02-E47E-426D-B69A-3ABAD697AE43.jpeg
1A22DA89-2D43-405A-B59F-B3E3BF7BADB8.jpeg
AC96FD5F-92A2-4D62-94DB-FEBFCFC7D282.jpeg
The air intake is not a problem, I can duct this down to below sole easily Nanni ask for this to be at the front of the engine. The problem is expelling the waste air, Nanni show this being above the engine I take it this is due to hot air rising. This is obviously not possible with the LB26 design as the engine is isolated in the middle of the sole and the top of the engine is 380mm above sole.
Dan I can not see how I can get ducting under the sole to the aft of the engine as the compartments are full of tank, muffler, ducts etc and this again would be below the engine.

The problem is I am in the situation of trying to adhere to the Nanni guide lines and build the boat that Jacques has designed, ( I do appreciate Jacques that regs etc will have changed since this boat was designed )

Going back to my previous post regarding tank venting. I have just read Blueflood's post. If I understand this right the tank vent has to go through hull port or starboard with a swan neck to help prevent water ingress ??? The tank compartment venting I am still not sure about. My tank as per my last post can be seen centre of sole. I can just about get some ducts in and bring these out in the rear U shaped seating with vent grills. this will mean though it will be in the cock pit. Is this ok ??? If not any suggestions ?

Cheers

Les

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Back again....

Should I be thinking of a mechanical extractor ??? to suck and blow it out somewhere ??? not sure where :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuel tank compartment vent off the stern. Suction there can reduce smells in the boat. You can clamshell it.

Blackwater tank best to have dual vents, or one larger one. Also, overboard and aft is better so when you run the odors pull away.

Venting to the inside of the boat is just not wise because any odors of say a tiny bit of oil on the engine burning off will leave the stench inside.

Mechanical blowers are required on gas engines because fuel vapors can build and are highlt explosive. I don't belive this is required for diesels. The most common place for blower exits is aft either off a gunwhale/deck or high on the sides via covered vents.

Do not worry if ducting moves up or down a bit. A well placed exhaist vent and clamshell will develop a bit of suction and pull vapors of b/w tank, engine compartment, fuel tank compartment.

There is a rule that fuel tank vents are not allowed to be near compartment vents. This is to avoid backflow
Of tank vapors into cockpit/liv spaces (15" rule)

Les-do you have a surveyor or need one for insurance?

For my boat, I hired a surveyor early and retained him and he agreed to take calls and emails and bill me time and this helped me with uncertainties. Some of the rules you may need to folllow may vary to ours.
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Vent engine compartment with blower. This will allow you to run the duct “the wrong way”. That or you’ll need to top vent the housing. I personally wouldn’t want that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Les one thing I I did not see answered was the fuel tank vent. It must vent outside the hull, here are some from the store here as examples for you https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... rap-vents/ You also put a loop in the vent line to prevent water ingress to fuel tank. Most of these that I have seen go out the side near the fuel tank under the rub rail. If you read through the description of the vents, I noted earlier they meet H-24.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning

Cheers Dan / Jaysen / Tom

Thanks for the feed back guys, will vent the tank through hull and I have decided to fit 2 Vetus extract fans and vent aft through Clam Shells.

Just when you think you are getting there..... there is always more !!!

Dan regarding Surveyors and insurance I am in contact with a surveyor and he is helping me with a kind of check list as we go, he will also do the final survey and tonnage. Insurance I have not tackled yet !!! Although I do have a good mate who lives in Athens and is an x Lloyds guy so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Les