LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB26

Post by fallguy1000 »

Once you determine bottom paint; only then should you plan the other colors. Or vice versa, but with 3 colors, black bottom paint, white above it and gray above that might look odd. If I did gray above this is would be horrid.

The best way to go is to take the patient wife to the marina for dinner. Tell her no dark colors and have her find 3 color boats she likes if you want two on top and a bottom paint..
B64D1F3B-A1A7-4CC8-B4C5-D671411E3FA4.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The join between the two colors is just tedious tape and hand work. No secrets.

There is the "boot stripe" trick. You just put a vinyl stick on boot strip over the merge and call it done. It eliminates most of the trickiness. I know some folks do it with paint. If I do it with paint I get both colors close (table) feather the edge, then tape the stripe and paint.

If you can, use I chine edge for as much of your color divide as possible. That will help as well.

Good luck.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning Guys

The bottom is already antifouled and like you say Dan white does not exist, it is a very brown / grey / white. When I flipped I only painted up to the chine so I have to antifoul above when I get going.

The scheme I like is this one or similar ( yes the boss agrees ) :lol:
A7E08EFD-72A3-40FA-AA05-A3564739E9CE.jpeg
Not a good photo ( sorry )

So yes I will have a band of NOT white antifoul then go to white and then the platinum.

The trouble is I have been putting off choosing as my first choice was dark blue, the input from you all soon put a stop to that ( researching this also suggested staying away from dark colours ) Trouble is this section is not only tricky but also very expensive !!!!

Will give it more thought but will have to choose soon and bite the bullet... :help:

Cheers for the input Dan / Jaysen

Les

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Typically, antifouling is applied dead last.

This is because you can sand topsides paint, and paint over it, but not vice versa.

Paint the gray first. Splattering the white is bad. Let it cure 5 days in warm weather and double tape the line and then sand to the masking with 320-400. Pull the top tape that is sander damaged and verify a good tape line.

Use a weak release tape on antifouling and hope you don't pull antifouling, sand off all antifouling above the tape, then paint the white to Pull the tape after a Kyrie Eleison. Antifouling is typically 2-3" above dwl.

The antifouling should have been done last.

If you damage the antifouling; you can sander blend it and do another coat of it. Taping off the white paint after 5 days cure.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have cheated masking 2 part much sooner than 5 days. But much depends on heat and temps and after the first day, I run fans to keep air flowing, etc. follow mfg guidelines and adjust for conditions

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Evening Guys

So todays question !!!

Went to see the Pavlos today he owns the local boat sales and boat workshop. Wanted to ask him about seating and upholstery, very helpful and has arrange for a guy to come over and look.

Whilst I was there we were chatting and he ask lots of questions about the boat and looked at photos, he then said who was going to paint the boat..... I said I was, he then went into detail and said why was I not spraying it with Auto paint as this was the most common way that boat builders over here were painting boats now !!! So I rang my step son in the UAE, he for many years worked on Shipman yachts and now runs a marina in the UAE he said why was I not using Auto paint as many of the boat builders in Eastern Europe and the UAE are now using Auto paint.

So Question am I being spun a yarn ???

Will post some more photos shortly, the one below is for a laugh.... the platform can take my wieght :lol:

Cheers

Les

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Evening Guys

So todays question !!!

Went to see the Pavlos today he owns the local boat sales and boat workshop. Wanted to ask him about seating and upholstery, very helpful and has arrange for a guy to come over and look.

Whilst I was there we were chatting and he ask lots of questions about the boat and looked at photos, he then said who was going to paint the boat..... I said I was, he then went into detail and said why was I not spraying it with Auto paint as this was the most common way that boat builders over here were painting boats now !!! So I rang my step son in the UAE, he for many years worked on Shipman yachts and now runs a marina in the UAE he said why was I not using Auto paint as many of the boat builders in Eastern Europe and the UAE are now using Auto paint.

So Question am I being spun a yarn ???

Will post some more photos shortly, the one below is for a laugh.... the platform can take my weight :lol:

Cheers

Les
BCC6D880-85EB-4F64-BB42-E9D74CE97A17.jpeg

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Oops :doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Auto paint.

Generally, auto paint is covered with clearcoats. I had some auto paint guys offer to paint my boat, but at the last minute they opted out and said they were afraid it wouldn't be good enough.

But two part urethanes are very good.

Imron gets lots of use in marine.

Personally, I would apply any paint choice on a sample of foam and immerse it for 14 days and see if it blisters..

I made the mistake of buying all my paint first.

Then told is does poor in immersion testing...

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

automotive paint above the water line would work. problem is that it is pretty finicky. It weathers better. It doesn't like to move though. Then there's the clear coat problem. I have spent most of the his week yelling at paint on a Viking 50. If you are going to paint, use a high quality, 2 part, repairable poly like EMC/Quantum or Awlgrip. These one part poly and epoxy paints are killing me quickly.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.