Pultruded fiberglass

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Pultruded fiberglass

Post by ProfzrX »

Has anyone here used pultruded fiberglass sheets to anchor screws for things suck as towers or hatch covers? If so do you have a source to buy from? Thanks

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Pultruded fiberglass

Post by joe2700 »

ProfzrX wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:44 pm Has anyone here used pultruded fiberglass sheets to anchor screws for things suck as towers or hatch covers? If so do you have a source to buy from? Thanks
Not familiar with the term pultruded but are you talking about products like g10/FR-4? If so I used it as a backing plate for any high load hardware like cleats, eyes, and rod holders. Also inserted it in each hatch and drilled and tapped for hinges. I purchased sheets from Jamestown Distributers: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... etail/8758 and tubes from mcmaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/garolite/multi ... fr4-tubes/. Mcmaster has a huge selection of all types but isn't cheap.

ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ProfzrX »

joe2700 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:55 am
ProfzrX wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:44 pm Has anyone here used pultruded fiberglass sheets to anchor screws for things suck as towers or hatch covers? If so do you have a source to buy from? Thanks
Not familiar with the term pultruded but are you talking about products like g10/FR-4? If so I used it as a backing plate for any high load hardware like cleats, eyes, and rod holders. Also inserted it in each hatch and drilled and tapped for hinges. I purchased sheets from Jamestown Distributers: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... etail/8758 and tubes from mcmaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/garolite/multi ... fr4-tubes/. Mcmaster has a huge selection of all types but isn't cheap.
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you very much.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

No problem, FYI I was super impressed with its ability to hold threads. I did a test where I drilled and tapped 1/4" g10 for 8-32 machine screws. Testing to failure the threads on the stainless screw failed before the threads in the g10. It was also very easy to tap(but probably dulls the tap quickly like everything else you cut g10 with).

ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ProfzrX »

joe2700 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 am No problem, FYI I was super impressed with its ability to hold threads. I did a test where I drilled and tapped 1/4" g10 for 8-32 machine screws. Testing to failure the threads on the stainless screw failed before the threads in the g10. It was also very easy to tap(but probably dulls the tap quickly like everything else you cut g10 with).
Wow! That's amazing. I ordered a sample piece to test with. Thanks again.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

G-10 and similar panels have layers at 0-45-90-(-45) angles. So pretty uniform properties in all direction.

Pultruded as the name implies are pulled through a die and wrapped with a thin surfacing veil. Very strong in one direction (rods/pipes/channel/I beam) but not strong in any direction other than along the length or in bending.

They hold screws OK, but for something chunky like a tower I'd lean toward the G-10 or similar. For lightly loaded objects the pultruded stuff would be fine.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24