Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

Stitching is an iterative process, I'm not sure it matters where you start, just make sure you start with all stitches loose. Great work so far, thats a really fun stage, go slow and enjoy it.

Tape the outsides of the molds before laying panels.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Thanks Jeff. I was wondering “how do I keep from accidentally welding these frames to the panel?” Tape! Good reminder. Thanks

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Jeff is right. It is a fun time watching your boat take shape in front of you. Looking good. Good luck!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good, there should be some where in your instructions that say to start the stitching from the transom. But if not that is the best way to go. Keep em a little slack so you can go back and tighten and fair up the panel as needed.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Routed the outside of panels to accept the butt splice:

Just some terminology, it looks like you are preparing a scarf joint in that picture, a butt joint would be just putting the ends of the boards against each other and then securing with a butt block or fiberglass over the joint. - Nevermind I was confused by the picture.
Last edited by joe2700 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:24 am
Mojosmantra wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Routed the outside of panels to accept the butt splice:

Just some terminology, it looks like you are preparing a scarf joint in that picture, a butt joint would be just putting the ends of the boards against each other and then securing with a butt block or fiberglass over the joint.
I did the same thing as Trent on my butt splices: I routed down about the thickness of glass/epoxy so that the butt-spliced panel would be flat and easier to fair. I went 3" from the edge of each panel to accomodate 6" tape.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:57 am
I did the same thing as Trent on my butt splices: I routed down about the thickness of glass/epoxy so that the butt-spliced panel would be flat and easier to fair. I went 3" from the edge of each panel to accomodate 6" tape.
Ohh I see now, the router tracks made it look like it was cut on an angle like a scarf but it's just cut to an even depth for the tape. Nevermind!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:19 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:57 am
Ohh I see now, the router tracks made it look like it was cut on an angle like a scarf but it's just cut to an even depth for the tape. Nevermind!
Yeah, Trent actually did an excellent job, there is very consistent grain where he routed. I didn't do as good a job and mine looked more like a scarf joint were I crossed layers.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mine, for comparison. The fact that the other side of my pyramid is mia is a little alarming.......I may have joined a side panel to the transom. Oh well.
20210329_122837.jpg

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Had a pretty successful afternoon of stitching - I think. A good buddy of mine was here for a visit and his help made quicker work of it than I anticipated:

Did encounter some hard spots up in the bow area that took some massaging. You can see that here:

But I think it came out well overall. Used the PVC trick and tile spacers (I had a huge bag left over from a recent tile job):

Overall - a really cool and fun process. I'll spot weld tomorrow with Gel Magic - any suggestions on how long I should cure before cutting the zip ties? It's 80 - 85 degrees here. And what would be the best use of time while I'm waiting? Cutting rub rails?