Removing the frame

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Removing the frame

Post by Mario76 »

Could someone help me ? I installed in the wrong place plywood frame in the plywood dinghy and applied epoxy filler with wood powder.
How can I remove it? I've heard something about heat gun .
Any help very welcome

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Removing the frame

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mario76 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:00 am Could someone help me ? I installed in the wrong place plywood frame in the plywood dinghy and applied epoxy filler with wood powder.
How can I remove it? I've heard something about heat gun .
Any help very welcome
If its cured, you'll need to grind it out with a grinder in accessible places and a dremel or cutting tool in less accessible places.

Photos?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The easiest is using a SoB tool (reciprocating multi-tool) with a flush cut attachment. Run that along the seams to get the frame out. Then use sanding devices to remove the remaining epoxy if needed (it it isn’t in the way/visible/Is under deck who cares?).

Be very careful with a Tool Of Mass Destruction (aka angle grinder) as you will quickly find yourself repairing the ply that you wanted to keep whole. ToMD need to handled carefully. If you are not a grinding god consider a slower approach by using an RO or SoB to sand the epoxy off.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not heat!!!

Use an oscillating tool with a carbide head.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mario76 »

Thank you very much for all replies. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I cannot upload the pictures as I don't have account on any hosting website.
Funny in this forum no one suggests heat gun while on clc forum lots of guys suggest heat gun.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Heat will off gas some nasties. We all like to live long enough to enjoy our boats with all our faculties intact. Hence we tend to suggest safe solutions to boat building problems.

I would also suggest that heat will take forever is you glued and filleted properly. Pulling a frame shouldn’t take more than 30min using mechanical methods. Less of you don’t get super picky about the glue line cleanup.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mario76 »

Do I need to get this kind of multitool? :
https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pmf-2 ... 000-v39174

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mario76 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm Do I need to get this kind of multitool? :
Yes. But you want only a one inch cutter or so. And it must be carbide or will wear out before u finish cutting.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mario76 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 pm Thank you very much for all replies. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I cannot upload the pictures as I don't have account on any hosting website.
Funny in this forum no one suggests heat gun while on clc forum lots of guys suggest heat gun.
The temperature to heat epoxy to a liquid state is enough to burn the wood. And then you breathe miscroscopic particles of uncured bisphenol which can drive the epoxy allergy.

A little worried I am starting to get it. The other day I had a gagging spell on my boat after cutting some stuff.

You can always dust mask for the cutting, but smoke will penetrate all but the big gas masks.

If you like the idea of burning the allergen in epoxy and breathing it along with scorching your hull; then listen to the clc guys.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:29 pm
Mario76 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm Do I need to get this kind of multitool? :
Yes. But you want only a one inch cutter or so. And it must be carbide or will wear out before u finish cutting.
I had a slightly better experience with non-carbide blades. I was able to cut out “not glassed” stuff with no problems. Glassed things needed carbide as the glass destroyed heat treated steel in seconds.