Page 1 of 1

Aluminium boat building - 25ft fisherman

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 am
by lucastefanel
Hello,

finally i started to make real my adventure.
Starting from very amazing CS25 plans i adapted the boat on what i'm looking for and what i really need and together with my very good job experience with Aluminium 5083 i decided to build my dreams boat.
As suggested by Jaques on my previous topic i made some adjustements based on the fact that i'm not building the boat in fiberglass but in aluminium, after that i reviewed nestings and i sent first plates to cut.
After some weeks i received a huge pallet around 6 meters long with bottom plates together with frames and bulkheads.
I'm keeping track on youtube of my progress, the link is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNlTzp ... rcVv6LpEJQ

Here i would like to share with you some pictures of progress in order to get some feedbacks from your side.

Cheers!!
Luca

Re: Aluminium boat building - 25ft fisherman

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am
by cracked_ribs
Very cool! I have often been curious to see one of these go together in aluminum. That's a very popular material where I live, but not often for home builders!

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:19 am
by Jeff
Luca, Welcome to our Forum!!! We look forward to watching you build!!! Again, welcome!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm
by Matt Gent
Super cool project!

A friend and I want to learn to weld. We are tinkering with adapting a small S&G skiff (Lillistone's Fleet) to Aluminum as a "senior design project"' once we have the hang of it. CS25 is on a whole other scale!

Aluminum boat building seems to be very regional. The petroleum industry in the gulf supports a bunch of Louisana builders, plus the PNW. I'd think it makes sense for low production / semi-custom boats elsewhere but tradition seems to reign.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:41 pm
by Dan_Smullen
This will be a great project to watch!

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:43 pm
by Cowbro
Matt Gent wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm Aluminum boat building seems to be very regional. The petroleum industry in the gulf supports a bunch of Louisana builders, plus the PNW. I'd think it makes sense for low production / semi-custom boats elsewhere but tradition seems to reign.
I have looked into it for a bit, there are plenty of options out there to order a CNC cut aluminum boat kit for anything from a 10' dinghy to a 40' trawler, the problem lies mostly in the construction technique. There isn't as much information out there like there is for S&G boats. If your welder settings aren't dialed or you weld something out of sequence you risk turning the whole thing into a giant curvy noodle. It also requires some much tighter tolerances for fit-up. You can't just pile in thickened epoxy to fill a 1/2" gap.

Luca, I am watching this with much interest, it seems like you are off to a great start and seem to be more than capable. 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:15 pm
by MikeyGnz
Hi Luca

I've been building a GV10 in alloy as a practice project before I build a kit-set boat. See My Build for more details. Just looking at what you have done so far you seem to be a better alloy welder than me and are using heavier plate/sheet so you shouldn't have as many distortion problems as I had. Looking back on my experience the two main things I learned were:
  • Do a lot of practice on off-cuts to get the welder settings and technique dialled-in. Once confident everything is correct, do more practice.
  • Short welds then let cool to reduce heat build-up.
Looking at your welds and gear you probably know all this already though.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to see how it all goes.

Mike

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:58 pm
by TomW1
Luca I look forward to following your build until you launch it. I know you will need to prime it with zinc chromate before painting for corrosion protection. What aluminum alloy are you using 5053. I worked for a major aluminum company. :D

Regards, Tom

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:35 am
by lucastefanel
cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am Very cool! I have often been curious to see one of these go together in aluminum. That's a very popular material where I live, but not often for home builders!
Hi, you are right, is very used in other parts of world instead of italy or europe in general but i think is more easy to work compared to fiberglass but this is my personal opinion :D

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:36 am
by lucastefanel
Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:19 am Luca, Welcome to our Forum!!! We look forward to watching you build!!! Again, welcome!!! Jeff
Many thanks Jeff 8)

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 am
by lucastefanel
Matt Gent wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm Super cool project!

A friend and I want to learn to weld. We are tinkering with adapting a small S&G skiff (Lillistone's Fleet) to Aluminum as a "senior design project"' once we have the hang of it. CS25 is on a whole other scale!

Aluminum boat building seems to be very regional. The petroleum industry in the gulf supports a bunch of Louisana builders, plus the PNW. I'd think it makes sense for low production / semi-custom boats elsewhere but tradition seems to reign.
Hi Matt, you are right, is very regional and tradition reigns, i think because aluminium has been always associated to professional boats for very strong use!
Now even in italy we are starting to see the first aluminium made boats, in my opinion aluminium boat building will increase as soon all the fiberglass boats at the end of their life are starting to be scrapped, i know there are huge costs for demolition

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:41 am
by lucastefanel
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:41 pm This will be a great project to watch!
Thanks Dan, i will keep posted my progress

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:53 am
by lucastefanel
Cowbro wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:43 pm
Matt Gent wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm Aluminum boat building seems to be very regional. The petroleum industry in the gulf supports a bunch of Louisana builders, plus the PNW. I'd think it makes sense for low production / semi-custom boats elsewhere but tradition seems to reign.
I have looked into it for a bit, there are plenty of options out there to order a CNC cut aluminum boat kit for anything from a 10' dinghy to a 40' trawler, the problem lies mostly in the construction technique. There isn't as much information out there like there is for S&G boats. If your welder settings aren't dialed or you weld something out of sequence you risk turning the whole thing into a giant curvy noodle. It also requires some much tighter tolerances for fit-up. You can't just pile in thickened epoxy to fill a 1/2" gap.

Luca, I am watching this with much interest, it seems like you are off to a great start and seem to be more than capable. 8)
what you say is totally correct, aluminium is subject to overheat deformation especially for small thikness plates, actually i'm using 6mm for hull, 8 for structure, 15 at transom and 4 for deck, this problem is quite limited as already considered as big thikness so the overheating problem is quite limited.
Of course without proper welding machine settings you can easily make holes on plates or damage the material.
There is also a big preparation for welding area, oxide removing, compressed air cleaning, axetone cleaning in order to remove all the workshop oils/paints etc and then finally you can weld.
I work for a maritime building company and we recently delivered 2 vessel funnels over 75 tons of aluminium so i had the opportunity to see how to properly work aluminium.
For sure i still have lot to learn. 8)

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:02 am
by lucastefanel
MikeyGnz wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:15 pm Hi Luca

I've been building a GV10 in alloy as a practice project before I build a kit-set boat. See My Build for more details. Just looking at what you have done so far you seem to be a better alloy welder than me and are using heavier plate/sheet so you shouldn't have as many distortion problems as I had. Looking back on my experience the two main things I learned were:
  • Do a lot of practice on off-cuts to get the welder settings and technique dialled-in. Once confident everything is correct, do more practice.
  • Short welds then let cool to reduce heat build-up.
Looking at your welds and gear you probably know all this already though.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to see how it all goes.

Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for suggestions!
i gave a look into your build, great job!
you faced overheating issues caused by low thikness of plates, actually i'm working with 6-8-15mm plates and MIG-pulsed machine.
The difference with a traditional MIG machine is that the first shot of electricity is burning the oxide on plate and it allows me to use low amperes on weldings and of course less heating.
At least this is teoretically :wink:

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 am
by lucastefanel
TomW1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:58 pm Luca I look forward to following your build until you launch it. I know you will need to prime it with zinc chromate before painting for corrosion protection. What aluminum alloy are you using 5053. I worked for a major aluminum company. :D

Regards, Tom
Hi Tom, correct, i'm using 5083.
Actually this grade alumium should be able to sail row without any paint without problems.
At work for maritime construction we used International paint with very good results so i think i will copy paste.
In details first coat of epoxy primer, second coat of aluminium specific paint and then at the end the final RAL paint, very long progress!

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:18 pm
by bklake
That is one sure way to solve the Slow-Medium-Fast hardener question.

Good luck with your build.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 pm
by TomW1
lucastefanel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 am
TomW1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:58 pm Luca I look forward to following your build until you launch it. I know you will need to prime it with zinc chromate before painting for corrosion protection. What aluminum alloy are you using 5053. I worked for a major aluminum company. :D

Regards, Tom
Hi Tom, correct, i'm using 5083.
Actually this grade alumium should be able to sail row without any paint without problems.
At work for maritime construction we used International paint with very good results so i think i will copy paste.
In details first coat of epoxy primer, second coat of aluminium specific paint and then at the end the final RAL paint, very long progress!
Sounds like a plan, keep posting pictures sure want to see the finished boat. :D

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am
by lucastefanel
Hello and thanks for your support!!
Here some progress made last week.
Actually structure is done and tack welded and now is serving as jig exactly as per wooden building, the only difference is that i will tack weld bottom plates on frames as soon i reach the perfect shape.
When i prepared the files for cutting i decided to add 60mm of green material in order to be able later on to adjust any mistake, in order to find position for transom and starting reference point i had to mark on aft bottom plates the green material.
Now....the job became harder, 2 plates 6 meters long to move and handle, with a bigger truck i have been able to transport from warehouse to home and i directly putted on structure in order to prevent any unvoluntary shaping, this operation had been done by 3 persons without any big problem.
I used a building trick learned during last project, by using a rope from first and last bulkhead i have been able to alway have center line clear and mark, this is avoiding any mistake on bottom plates positioning.

You can also see these progress on this youtube video:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lw-5Adjfuw&t=20s[/youtube]

Cheers!!
IMG_5151.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5159.jpg
IMG_5150_jpg.JPG

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 pm
by BarraMan
An interesting build to watch, Luca. Thanks for posting!
Way above my pay grade!
I am proof that it doesn't take a lot of skill to build a S&G boat - and you can learn as you go!

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 pm
by TomW1
Very nice Luca. Keep the pictures coming, You have a very interesting project that a lot of us are following. :D

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:01 pm
by lucastefanel
Hello, happy Easter to everybody!!
Today i started to mark the shapes for engine bracket on 5083 Aluminium plates.
I choosed (actually what i found available in my workshop) 15mm for engine installation plate, 10mm for PS and SB stingers, 8mm for platforms and 4mm for deck and bottom plates, in other words i can use my boat as an icebreaker!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now, of course bracket will be welded on Aluminium boat transom, but i'm thinking about anods to install in order to avoid galvanic actions between motor parts and bracket, do someone has any experience on that??
I will also installa anods on boat hull.

Cheers!!
Luca!

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm
by fallguy1000
Why 5083 instead of 6061?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 am
by lucastefanel
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm Why 5083 instead of 6061?
Because all the boat is made by 5083 plates, i use 6082 for profiles.
6061 is more indicated for other use, for example automotive.
5083 is specific marine grade aluminium.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 am
by lucastefanel
Finally i had the opportunity to step ahead on my project.
I started to install the bottom plates (totally 4 pcs), tack welding and bending giving the right shape on hull.
Not so easy, by biceps now are burning but result is amazing! :lol:
Initially i putted in position the plates, aft plates first and then going forward.
Once position was right i tack welded plates together from outside and then from inside on the structure, in this way i have been able to bend 6mm plates!
With pulsed aluminium welding machine i made around 300 points!!
Next step will be to install lateral steps and then turn her for frames installation and sides panels!
Still lot of things to do but i'm every day more excited on my personal results!!
Here you are some pics and the youtube link for this stage of job!

https://youtu.be/ZirfBII53N8

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 am
by Browndog
Bravissimo!

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:54 am
by cape man
Looks like a boat!

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:24 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 am
by piperdown
Very cool! :D

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm
by fallguy1000
lucastefanel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 am Finally i had the opportunity to step ahead on my project.
I started to install the bottom plates (totally 4 pcs), tack welding and bending giving the right shape on hull.
Not so easy, by biceps now are burning but result is amazing! :lol:
Initially i putted in position the plates, aft plates first and then going forward.
Once position was right i tack welded plates together from outside and then from inside on the structure, in this way i have been able to bend 6mm plates!
With pulsed aluminium welding machine i made around 300 points!!
Next step will be to install lateral steps and then turn her for frames installation and sides panels!
Still lot of things to do but i'm every day more excited on my personal results!!
Here you are some pics and the youtube link for this stage of job!

https://youtu.be/ZirfBII53N8

Lucas...I like the project.

Sometimes pictures play tricks.

Do you know what hook is in a hull? It may be an illusion, but have you checked for it? You will be very unhappy if I am right.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm
by fallguy1000
Right where you are standing in the pic is the area that has me wondering. Again, it could be an illusion, but please pull a string and make sure there is no low spot between the transom and forward most flat section.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm
by fallguy1000
This is what I am seeing that looks like a hook. I jist did a finger sketch, which is exaggerated the other way...hook will steal performance badly, the boat will be slower and cost more in fuel..sometimes results can be very bad, so please run a string test, some of the pictures have different color plate on the aft section, so it may be an ilusion, but it looks like 15mm of hook..
363CC20C-AEE2-4556-9A59-FD52E239C15E.jpeg

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 pm
by TomW1
Looks good guy.

Tom

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:00 am
by lucastefanel
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm This is what I am seeing that looks like a hook. I jist did a finger sketch, which is exaggerated the other way...hook will steal performance badly, the boat will be slower and cost more in fuel..sometimes results can be very bad, so please run a string test, some of the pictures have different color plate on the aft section, so it may be an ilusion, but it looks like 15mm of hook..

363CC20C-AEE2-4556-9A59-FD52E239C15E.jpeg
Hi, many thanks for your observation, i will check it for sure.
Probably it is an ilusion but is always better to double check, maybe could be because the bottom plates are only tack welded inside on aft side of boat.
Just in case at this stage of work can be easily adjusted by using a lifter from ground.
I will let you know and many thanks again for observation. :wink:

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:23 am
by fallguy1000
I hope I am wrong!

I like the hull shape!

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:23 am
by lucastefanel
Finally i've been able to step forward on my project!
Basically the bottom shape is done, lateral chine steps as well, tack welded, i will proceed later on with full weldings.
In order to close gap on keel line i will use ceramic for full penetrations welding, actual gap is around 20mm, probably i will be able to close a bit more and reduce some millimeters.
I used 0.5 and 1 ton chain blocks, belts and hanging devices for plates but at the end result is very good and i'm so proud of that.
Now my big question is:
- do anybody have some drawings for bottom hull steps? i would like to install befor turning upside down...
Thanks, Cheers!

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:37 pm
by Fuzz
That is some fine looking work right there! Not sure what you mean by hull steps maybe someone else will know :doh:

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:49 pm
by Netpackrat
This is awesome and I am glad to see people doing the hard work of converting some of these designs to aluminum construction.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 am
by fallguy1000
Do you mean strakes?

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 am
by TomW1
For the keel and hull steps(strakes) they should be in your plans. First the keel should be a 1 x 2" skeg running from about a 18" from the transom to 13-15' forward. This will be your best help in tracking in all seas and in turning. Next are hull steps or strakes which when properly designed can help in planing. There is a section somewhere in here that discusses this. These could be flat for 3-5" out and straight down to the hull. Do not put them over the stringers as you will want to tow your boat with the stringers over the trailer flats.

I hope that helps.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:31 am
by fallguy1000
Great point on not locating on the stringers Tom.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:02 am
by lucastefanel
Hi guys,

thanks for your feedbacks, these are the replies that i was looking for.
Now i'm bit confused about strakes position.
My intention is to use Aluminium 6082 L profile 30x100mm Thk 5mm.
Is it a good idea to put shorter L side over stingers? in this way longer side will be closer to CL... :doh:
whit this layout i souldn't face any problem on trailer...
Probably this week end i will start to fully weld the hull, i expect argon bottles and welding wire burn!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:14 am
by fallguy1000
For an aluminum boat with a thick enough hull, you may not be concerned with bunking, but trailering rollers and bunking needs to be considered for many boats.

That said, you need to consider the waterline. The last thing you want is to hop up on plane and be above the strakes!

https://www.aeromarineresearch.com/tbdp ... rails.html

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:17 am
by fallguy1000
Here is an article he wrote. Only to get the last three pages you have to email him.

https://aeromarineresearch.com/publicat ... b2015.html

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:21 am
by fallguy1000
I think you need to know where the boat rides up on plane; not the static waterline. Then you go halfway out. Let's say you are on plane and 24" of water each side, first strake would be less than 12" from keel.

Largely guessing here. But then if you are going really fast and top speed, you want at least one strake still helping.

Then the angle to water at the stern should be under 8 degrees per the other article. If you are over that, you might need to cut the short side shorter.

But Mertens might have some better advice if he is asked directly.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:27 pm
by TomW1
Sorry duplicate. Tom

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm
by TomW1
Putting the L side on the stingers is not a good idea. but normally the bunks and rollers are put on the stringers and you do not want the L of the strakes over them. That is the worst place to put them. The welds on them will be subject to more stress over time than any other area.

So plan your trailer for the bunks or rollers to be on the stringers and your strakes to be out side that area.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:57 pm
by fallguy1000
TomW1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm Putting the L side on the stingers is not a good idea. but normally the bunks and rollers are put on the stringers and you do not want the L of the strakes over them. That is the worst place to put them. The welds on them will be subject to more stress over time than any other area.

So plan your trailer for the bunks or rollers to be on the stringers and your strakes to be out side that area.

Tom
Not sure if you don't know the stringer location..

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am
by lucastefanel
Thanks for feedbacks guys, also very interesting and technical page!
So, seems that best idea should be to test boat first, then lift she up again with crane and weld L profiles accordingly with how boat is running on water!
Of course, best way to work is now with hull upside down but also i can consider to install profiles later on after some tests.
:doh: :doh:
I'm bit concerned on how to proceed..

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm
by TomW1
lucastefanel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am Thanks for feedbacks guys, also very interesting and technical page!
So, seems that best idea should be to test boat first, then lift she up again with crane and weld L profiles accordingly with how boat is running on water!
Of course, best way to work is now with hull upside down but also i can consider to install profiles later on after some tests.
I think you need to do them now if you know where your stringers are going to be placed. Less work and hassle later. Let me know the distance from the keel to the chine and I can come up with what size you should have. You should run them all the way to the transom. Also I will need the flat area of the hull, from bow to transom. Also the distance from the keel for each stringer.

Strakes are not the end be all. They help in planing and in turning with there straight edge. But over sized ones can cause problems also. Here is a strake on a Grady White !9
download/file.php?id=21853&mode=view[soundcloud][/soundcloud] Just to the right of the sounder. It only has one, while you will need two.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 pm
by TomW1
TomW1 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm
lucastefanel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am Thanks for feedbacks guys, also very interesting and technical page!
I think you need to do them now if you know where your stringers are going to be placed. Less work and hassle later. Let me know the distance from the keel to the chine and I can come up with what size you should have. You should run them all the way to the transom. Also I will need the flat area of the hull, from bow to transom. Also the distance from the keel for each stringer.

Strakes are not the end be all. They help in planing and in turning with there straight edge. But over sized ones can cause problems also. Here is a strake on a Grady White !9
download/file.php?id=21853&mode=view[soundcloud][/soundcloud] Just to the right of the sounder. It only has one, while you will need two.

To be honest if your top speed is not going to be much above 45 or so you don't really need strakes as long as you have a good keel and spray rails. They are most effective above 50 mph.

It also looks like you have put spray rails on the chines. Good move.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:09 am
by fallguy1000
fyi-not to be a nit, but that GW has two strakes, one is hidden by the port ducer.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 am
by cracked_ribs
Honestly...none of this needs to be very complicated.

If the stringers are going to be like a typical cs25, space the strakes out a bit on either side of the stringers. You don't want the headaches of welds on top of welds, and you do want the extra stiffness from the strakes to help you where the hull is floppiest.

If you're doing lots of smaller lengthwise stiffeners instead of a typical glass boat with two or four big stringers, just space them about thirds apart on the hull.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am
by fallguy1000
cracked_ribs wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 am Honestly...none of this needs to be very complicated.

If the stringers are going to be like a typical cs25, space the strakes out a bit on either side of the stringers. You don't want the headaches of welds on top of welds, and you do want the extra stiffness from the strakes to help you where the hull is floppiest.

If you're doing lots of smaller lengthwise stiffeners instead of a typical glass boat with two or four big stringers, just space them about thirds apart on the hull.
I agree. I don't know stringer locations, but I'd go inside them if they are farther apart and then outside again same or so. You may lose the outer strake at speed, big deal.

So, for example, something like stringers 2' from centerline, first strake ends at 18", second at 30", allows for bunking trailer, if desired, from 21-27" with 3" margin.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:53 am
by fallguy1000
The outside one in my example is open for debate. Might be getting near the chine and that can get wonky...

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:51 am
by cracked_ribs
Yeah...sometimes this stuff is easier to draw than explain so here's a sketch that I hope covers what I'm describing:

The strakes do a couple of things, they make it plane a little easier, and they make the bottom a little stiffer, and they also give you a bit of grip while cornering.

In glass boats you really need the shape to stiffen up the hull, that's why they're always there. If you do typical CS25 stringers like the top drawing I'd want them there for stiffness as well.

If you do longitudinal stiffeners like the bottom drawing you won't likely need the stiffening effect, but the grip in corners is still nice.

Getting on plane easier is also good...but everything you do that makes it easier to plane a given hull, also makes the ride rougher.

Anyway not a huge deal, either way. You probably won't be running with the top strake exposed, I rarely see that on anything but purpose-built go-fast boats. And if you are, you probably won't be cranking hard on the wheel and cornering like crazy. I think often people overthink this stuff. Just stay away from where the stringers are going to go, and you will get the extra stiffening if you need it.

Plus you will probably have an easier time with heat distortion etc. Not that I'm a great welder or anything; I can weld but not enough to attempt a project like this, so you're already better at it than I am. But that's what I would do.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 pm
by TomW1
Excellent drawings CR. Now we only need to know where he is putting his stringers and calculating how wide his strakes need to be. You did not mention it but they also help getting up on plane faster. Agree with you on the ride that is why you have to make a compromise between between lift and ride when you design them.

Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:25 pm
by lucastefanel
Hi guys, sorry I've been out of forum for a long time but material went 3 times more expensive than normal price so I quitted activities for some months.
Anyway, I made some good progress on my boat.
First of all I did not installed strakes yet, I focused my efforts on giving a shape of real boat but now or later I will have to decide how to proceed ons strakes.
Here below some pictures on how is boat now.
Lot of works still to do but I'm studying every day how to go ahead in order to put her in the water by beginning of next spring.
I'm proceeding now on cabin structure (actually you can note also the bed), hopefully next week I'll be able to start consolle installation.
Slowly slowly is getting the right shape, of course I'm so far from target but never give up!!
Of course Every suggestion or critic is welcome!

Cheers!!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm
by Fuzz
That is going to be a very nice looking boat!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:38 pm
by TomW1
Wow, things have really come along. Nice work and like Fuzz that is going to be a nice looking boat. Tom