Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by fallguy1000 »

The best place for fuel tanks in most planing boats is closer to lcg or longitudinal center of gravity. The boat's behavior will be more consistent empty or full tank this way.

A livewell forward is a much better way to manage load. My well in my aluminum 16' is 25 gallons and I usually always fill it when alone; for an offsetting me and motor 200 pounds versus your 12 gallons at 6 pounds or 72 pounds full only fuel tank.

So, not really a fan of the idea.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I put my tank under the front of the console between the stringers. I like this approach because there is not much change in how it floats full to empty, and it was much easier to deal with fuel fill and vent as its just stright up to the side of the console. I also put the batteries under the console, but separated from the fuel.

But depending on the size of the console or if you have one at all that might not be an option.

I went with a 22 gallon tank for the occasional long trip but given the fuel economy with a 60HP modern outboard that is certainly overkill, I only end up filling up a few times per season. 12 will feel like plenty and you could probably do smaller and just have a way to connect an external tank for any extra long trips.

I did find the specified sole too flexible and ended up adding batons underneath, would have gone with thicker plywood in hindsight. I think you are right to be thinking about that.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Jmk, fallguy, and joe - Many thanks. I'll continue to go through the forum and gather ideas. Greatly appreciate your inputs. - Marshall

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Insurance boat/trailer in TX

Post by MarshallTX »

I'm looking for a company that will insure my FS17 and trailer in Texas. I've reached out to a few of the big names and they don't like home-built products. Any suggestions?

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Boat and Trailer Insurance TX

Post by MarshallTX »

I'm looking for a company that will insure my FS17 and trailer in Texas. I've reached out to a few of the big names and they don't like home-built products. Any suggestions?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

No experience here, but old internet stories say you may have better luck insuring a custom boat than a homebuilt boat.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Narfi is right. Call it a "custom Bateau Boats Fast Skiff 17". Mine is insured with Castle Key insurance.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Did you all need a survey or appraisal first? I have liability coverage but to cover the boat itself my insurance company(amica) said they would but needed an appraisal first to establish the value. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Joe, Cape Man, and Narfi - All good inputs as I'm learning this. Most companies have simply rejected home builds. I have found a few that might insure (pictures required, other unique requirements, etc.). Many thanks! - Marshall

fallguy1000

Re: Boat and Trailer Insurance TX

Post by fallguy1000 »

MarshallTX wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:08 pm I'm looking for a company that will insure my FS17 and trailer in Texas. I've reached out to a few of the big names and they don't like home-built products. Any suggestions?
It isn't homemade.

It isn't wood.

It is a custom made composite FS17 runabout.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495