Laguna Madre 18 with tunnel

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Laguna Madre 18 with tunnel

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:24 am I understand how a tunnel works. What I was asking is will the tunnel on a LM let you raise the motor enough that you hit bottom with something other than the prop. Where I would use one is gravel bottom so hitting with the prop will tear it up. And being as the water is glacier fed it is very murky making depth hard to read.
That question can only be answered by Jacques, as I said in my first reply. With a 30HP with a 10" diameter prop it may be possible, but I am not sure.

Good luck with what you learn from Jacques and let us know.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Laguna Madre 18 with tunnel

Post by Jerid Ray »

Here is Jaques finished math. Weigh your boat. Ive seen a nd spoken with a gentleman here in Texas who built his. 50hp tiller on it. It gets stuppiiid shallow. He has a jack foreman prop AND a jack plate on it so it won't cavitate no matter how much you pull it out of the water. He built the standard tunnel in directions. I'm currently building one. I have a 50hp two stroke Yamaha (189lbs) I'm powering it with. Shall see how shallow I can get. I will have a jack plate as well.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221104-073741.png