Meranti 6566 vs Marine Fir

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Meranti 6566 vs Marine Fir

Post by jbo_c »

Assuming there’s no contest and the meranti is a better option. True?

I’m about to start a shanty boat build. Don’t see okume being equitable for a boat that won’t be pretty in the traditional sense, but do want a long life.

Boat will be glassed on at least the bottom. Do I need a light layer on the rest to prevent possible checking if I use the meranti/aquatek?

Last question. Is it still in stock? Web site doesn’t say it isn’t, but I know lots of things aren’t these days.

Thanks.

Jbo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Meranti 6566 vs Marine Fir

Post by Jeff »

jbo, Meranti is a high quality marine plywood. You can glass the whole boat but all that is really needed on the inside would be a good coating of epoxy.We have Meranti in stock, the only Aquatek we have is 12MM. All other Meranti in stock is BS1088. Hope this helps, Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

IMHO there are only about two good reasons to use marine fir over the good stuff. One is you can not get the good stuff. Two is if you are using it for transoms or stringers. Something that will have lots of glass all around. The fir is heavy and will check badly if not glassed over. Because it must be glassed and really soaks up resin there is no cost savings in the end. Fir is very stiff and works good for transoms and stringers, places where stiffness is needed and will be glassed.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks to both of you. That’s about what I thought.

Now just need to figure out how to have the meranti from here shipped.

Does the “home delivery” option mean it arrives with some way for them to get it off the truck rather than hand me a pieces at the time? And do I have to be there?

Thanks.

Jbo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

JBO, The Residential Delivery option means that a truck (tractor trailer) will deliver your order to your door (as long as your driveway can handle the truck) and the driver has a lift gate on his trailer. The order along with a pallet jack (some electric/some manual) will be used to move the order from the liftgate to the ground and then moved to your desired location typically in your driveway. It is a very nice service but costs about $80.00 more than a terminal, where you are required to go get the order. Jeff

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks. I’ll have to find out where my closest terminal is.

Jbo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Call us on Tuesday and Reid will identify the AAACooper closest to you. You can reach us at 772.742.8535. Jeff