Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by jbo_c »

(If this needs to be in a different section due to not being a Bateau design, I apologize. But my understanding is that since I’m buying from BBC, this is the right place. Obviously, just move it if I’m wrong.)

Probably too early for me to really start this thread yet, but I can’t make myself wait any longer.

I’m about to start a shanty boat build for river and fair weather lake use - gunkholing is probably a good descriptor if I understand the term correctly. I’ve posted a few miscellaneous questions elsewhere, but I’ll make this my build thread. On vacation now, but talked to Reid at BBC last week and will probably have the ply delivered next week.

Plan is a 22’ x 7’6” barge type hull with sleeping accommodations to support a couple together or a couple of guys separately, a fully enclosed head(camp style), a tiny interior galley area, and large front porch.

I’ve drawn from all the on-line shanty boat designs I could find, which wasn’t many, as “design” really isn’t historically a big factor in their build. My biggest departure from most of them are the size and location of the outside area and location of the helm. Typically the deck area on a shanty is negligible or on the roof and the helm is either inside(remote) or out back via tiller.

My boat will have a large ‘front porch’ which will also be the location of the helm. The biggest challenges this presents are weight distribution, and shade for the driver. I think I have weight distribution covered. At this point still noodling through shade for the captain.

Windage is also a big consideration on this vessel, so the (aft) sleeping area will be reduced to just over 4 feet while the galley/head will be 6’2”.

Need to figure out picture posting. Seems like they have to be hosted somewhere not just dropped in. Then I can add a few drawings and ideas contemplated until I actually start cutting up wood.

Been wanting this boat for over a decade, actually sketching, planning, investigating for several years. Finally have the money and a place to build, so can’t wait to get started.

Jbo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by Jeff »

Congrats JBO on your future build, it sounds like you ha e really thought it through!!!! Welcome to the Builders Forum, our membership are great builders and always eager to assist in builds!!!! Jeff

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Trying a pic post.

Hesperia: not really a shanty boat, but provided some inspiration.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Actual shanty by another designer. Won’t post the name here.

My design will have many similarities with this one aesthetically, but a couple of significant differences.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Early paper model I made while on vacation a couple of years ago. Hull shape will be the same, but have made a few changes since then. This model was based on18’ and a more austere arrangement. I’ve since decided (with wife’s input) that it needs a little more comfort, which will require me to go to 22’.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This will be an interesting build to watch!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Make sure it has at least a porta potty er fergit it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Should be fun to watch. I'll be planning a similar project in a few years. Good luck.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:51 pm Make sure it has at least a porta potty er fergit it.
Yep. That’s a big reason for the expansion. Also, she wanted a bed that wasn’t a conversion. Converting bed would have let me keep it to 20’.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jbo_c wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:28 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:51 pm Make sure it has at least a porta potty er fergit it.
Yep. That’s a big reason for the expansion. Also, she wanted a bed that wasn’t a conversion. Converting bed would have let me keep it to 20’.

Jbo
Our bed is a conversion, but we made the back into a daybed, like 22" wide. There is your 2'.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495