Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by TomW1 »

jbo_c wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:26 pm Well, crap. Finally mixed a bad batch of epoxy this weekend. The details are unimportant, so here they are:

My son came to help me and I was, of course, excited he would take time to come hang out with Dad. I’m 99.9% sure the first batch after he arrived and we were visiting/catching up/talking plans was mixed 1:1 instead of 2:1. (By me.)

Happily/sadly the goal for the night was to glass the compound joints where the runners meet the hull. The first batch was the neat epoxy to go down before we started glassing. So the three layers of glass we put down were “floating” on a thin film of never-going-to-cure epoxy.

Confirmed this afternoon when I got home from church. The glass was all nicely cured but (with lots of effort) peeled off the runners/boat. Poop.

The “happy” part is that I wasn’t trying to glass the full runners, only the compound angles where the runners meet the boat. So the part(s) that had to be removed “only” amounted to four sections about 16” long.

Now to figure out how to get the uncured layer off so we can start them over. :)

Jbo

jbp acetone is the best thing to wipe off the uncured epoxy. Try to scrape off what you can first then glove and mask up and wipe off the rest of it. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

jbo_c wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:34 pm I give up. I’ve tried like 6 times to post the image and can’t make it happen.

Jbo
Fixed
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks, Jaysen.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Finally back at it. Last of the glass is on the bottom. Some filling, sanding, and graphite and I can flip.

Not planing to spend too long on filling and sanding since it’s a “slow boat” anyway.

Jbo
Attachments
IMG_8168.jpeg

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Think I’ve finally gotten the majority of my “bulk” fairing done. Fairing may not be the right word to use compared to the level of finish many here seem to do, more “smoothing”.

Already thinking maybe I should name the boat “Sand-y”.

Plugging along

Jbo

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Definitely interested in your build and am looking forward to more updates!

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Lots of sanding to do today and tomorrow. Then will graphite the bottom and put some high build primer on the sides and I’ll be ready to finally flip. - hopefully by next weekend.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Here is a cutaway profile view of the planned arrangement. It’s taken me a long time to settle on what I think will work and will look reasonably good.

Probably the biggest challenge was getting the helm outside while still allowing for protection from wind during cool/cold trips. I think the frame forward with a custom canvas will handle that in a very workable manner.

The only real issue I see at this point is that trim will be off to the stern with two of us in the bunk. Will have to see how much. Hoping it’s as simple to balance as moving a cooler to the front or maybe even just permanently mounting a house battery up front.

Jbo
Attachments
IMG_8450.jpeg
IMG_8450.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo I like it. Don't know much about shanty boats but frames are normally no more than 4' apart not the 6' you show. Just a thought.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks, Tom. That is a nice complement coming from you.

Yes. Those lines were just to delineate “furnishings” to give a idea of the interior. Max distance between frames is 4’.

Thanks.

Jbo