Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Post by BarraMan »

Now that is wild! 8O

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Awesome Dave!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Finally, the flip occurred and landed on the right side. The support carriage was strapped to the boat and both went over at the same time so I did not have to lift the boat again. Fifteen minute, two person flip and three weeks of planning. Let the interior fun begin!
Attachments
576A7C8A-1501-4BEE-B573-FECF0F9F85CC.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congratulations now I see the snow on the ground behind her, do you have a warm place to work on her the rest of the winter? :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Tom. That is just gravel in the background, no snow at the moment. We went from 13 degrees a few days ago to 60 degrees today. I have been waiting for a warm day to do the flip. Rolled her back into the garage and removed all of the bulkheads and stringers. Have to level her out again and then glass the interior. Maybe next week. :D
Attachments
44D4A02A-CA35-4D8B-B916-FCF93204F6DC.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is always good to get the flip in back of you. I think everyone worries their self sick over it but the good news is I can not remember even one that has not worked out. Even at the flipping stage the hulls are a lot tougher than we think they are.
Yours looks great right side up!

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hey Fuzz. Yes, we certainly do fret about the flip. I have only had one get away from me and it still came out fine. Made a lot of noise but no damage. Started cleaning up the interior drips and high spots from the zip tie holes. Next step is to fill the kerf cuts and drill holes with 406 thickener prior to glass layups.
Attachments
F2055C35-5872-4E15-8C0A-1287BA0F7E98.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Still prepping the interior for glass and waiting for the temps to come up a little. Here are some photos of the rack support she is sitting on. I need to build a taller epoxy cart so I can mix from inside the boat and have the cart outside the boat. Climbing in and out takes a lot of time.
Attachments
EB435E23-8C47-4D20-A42F-DEB665178B89.jpeg
C97FF65C-679F-4096-971B-8C4683456A84.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

hey PapaDave,

Great going 8) WOW nice paint job - she looks great.

Love your crafty GRP hatch work on the solo dory. Those smaller plug mold and making copies projects are fun and are a welcomed change of scenery instead of fairing and sanding.

Excellent craftsmanship on everything you do, impressive ! Your work space is so clean too - I don't know how you mustered the energy for working on two boats, mold making, two six strings and it looks like there is a car under cover next to your boat..is that another project ? :D Tell me you were not remodeling the kitchen in between all this.

Yes, getting in and out of a flipped hull is tiring for sure and working on a sloped bottom is a pain. Good move for a tall epoxy cart. You will likely need something similar for your hand / power tools when you get to that stage.

As for the flip itself...like the guys say; we worry way too much on it. It never is that complicated or nerve racking. Also save on beer because you do not need as many people to help out than what you think is needed.

Build on !
Marc