Page 1 of 1

Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm
by PapaDave
The PG22 has been on my list for some time now and I decided to keep the build momentum rolling. I spent time on these boats fishing in Baja California in my teens and always loved them. The plan is a 60 hp tiller with comfortable seating for 2-3 adults, open deck space, and a foldable sun canopy. Main use will be inshore fishing, free diving, and beach landing. I am going to proceed at a reasonable pace, so "Slow Cooker" is in the subject line. Looking forward to sharing the experience. Jig components are cut and ready for assembly.
Dave

Re: Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:45 pm
by BB Sig
BBV is strong in this one...

Congratulations on the new build! Looking forward to another great build!

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 am
by TomW1
Hi Dave good start. With the Panga's I would not recommend tiller steering, they need to be as balanced as possible. With your weight in the back and the motors you will have water coming in the scuppers when you stop unless you plug them when you stop. Also put as much weight forward as possible, gas tank and batteries.

Regards, Tom

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:03 am
by PapaDave
Good point about balance issues and scuppers Tom. I will certainly need to factor that into the final deck layout and weight distribution. Much better to ponder those details now before the flip.
Dave

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:18 pm
by PapaDave
Finished the strongback and I will be using it as a table to join all of my panels prior to completing the jig with hull forms. The boat just barely fits the building space length with enough room to walk around and work.
Dave

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:05 pm
by PapaDave
Cut out my panel sections and prepping to glue a few puzzle-joints together. The one displayed is a 3/8 inch bottom panel.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:51 pm
by VT_Jeff
Damn, Dave! Wasting no time!

I had to disconnect my steering the other day and get home via tiller(my weird boat has both). Cant tell you how much better the experience is with a wheel, I was shocked. Got it fixed asap and am back at the helm.

I find those Pangas really alluring. No doubt that yours will set a high bar.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm
by PapaDave
Hi Jeff,
She is coming together. The tiller control is certainly not for everyone, but I enjoy the simplicity. Nice to see you out on the boat with the family catching fish. That is the best part of building a boat for me. I was able to glue together a few panels, cut the transom, and splash a first coat of color on the 1/4 scale panga test model. The color is Chinese Red from Kirby Paint. White bottom paint to follow with a grey stripe at the chine. Trying to get all the panels stitched up on the jig prior to the Winter temperature drop. Thanks for checking on the progress,
Dave

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:43 pm
by PapaDave
Cut out the stringers and getting ready to glue the puzzle joints and laminate the sections together with offset joints. The bottom and side panels are assembled and resting against the wall. Stringers, transom lamination, and then back to completing the jig. A lot of fun so far. Almost ready to place my fiberglass order.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:56 pm
by PapaDave
Placed my fiberglass cloth and tape order with Reid and Jeff today for the Panga. Not ready for it yet but trying to stay ahead with materials. Thank you for always being so helpful with supplies.
Dave

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:22 pm
by Jeff
PapaDave, thank you for the kind words!!! Your business is much appreciated!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:00 am
by fallguy1000
I luv tiller steer, but some boats are too big..

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:11 pm
by TomW1
PapaDave remember that tiller steering also limits your HP allowed to a 50HP motor per Jacques in the Study Plans. While I like tiller steering in smaller boats I am not sure it is appropriate in a 22' one. Your weight would off set the center of gravity and you would be sitting stern down, unless you had passengers sitting forward of it.

This is a long, narrow, light boat so weight distribution is important.

Well just some thoughts to think on.

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:56 pm
by PapaDave
The strongback is complete and ready for panels. I need to kerf the 3/8 inch bottom panels next, and then start stitching her together.
Dave

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:16 pm
by Fuzz
That is some fine/precise looking work right there!

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:42 am
by Dougster
Yes, really looks nice. Precise is the right word.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:07 am
by Jeff
Great start PapaDave!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:19 am
by cape man
Don't let everyone talk you out of the tiller because they don't want it, or because it will limit you to a smaller engine due to weight. The Yamaha 70 weighs just 6 pounds more than the 50. A tiller eliminates the need for a console or side helm, which will free up a ton of space in the boat.

The beginning does look awesome! Nice work right there!

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:26 pm
by PapaDave
I think the tiller conversation is a good one to have and I appreciate the comments. There are plenty of reasons and opinions on both sides of the design issue and each carry validity. Keep the boat design conversation going! Stitching panels soon. :D

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:07 pm
by PapaDave
I cut kerfs into the 3/8th inch bottom panels half way through spaced every three inches and then made additional cuts 1.5 inches apart after trying it on the mold. The kerfing was certainly essential to get the plywood to conform to the mold. The panels are stitched and fairly close to the mold without any straps but it will need a bit more persuasion in the coming days.

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 pm
by Jeff
Nice PapaDave!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:41 pm
by PapaDave
After a few weeks of body contortions, salty language, and brute force, the Panga has taken its final shape. I used Meranti plywood and a lot of kerfs but she was stubborn. Setting up this boat on the strong back takes patience and multiple trips to the store for beer. I ended up using two straps on the inside to pull the chine area into stations B and C and the rest of the stations followed along. Any more pressure and the sides would lose their natural fairness so I came to a good compromise with her wishes and let her be. Next step is to round over the edges and glass away.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:14 pm
by Fuzz
I think everyone has said the pangas are hard to bend into shape but it looks like you won the battle. It sure looks good now.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:39 pm
by jonnymac
that’s some solid problem solving right there!

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm
by TomW1
Good job on getting her fair, she really looks good. Hope you didn't buy out the store of beer. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:02 am
by Dougster
PapaDave wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:41 pm ...so I came to a good compromise with her wishes and let her be...
Well put, it made me remember my struggles with the LB22 and meranti.

Says Let it be Dougster

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:39 pm
by PapaDave
Our relationship got off to a rocky start, but we have been getting along pretty well recently. Prepped the hull for glass and did the seem tape and bottom cloth in two sessions. I was planning on one marathon day wet on wet, but my back disagreed with that idea. Keel, rub rails, and spray rails are next and then a lot of fairing in my future.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 pm
by Fuzz
Don't look like there will be much fairing involved at all. :D

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am
by PapaDave
If only that was the case Fuzz. Lots of fairing ahead. I got the skeg installed (160 inches long, 1x1.25 Southern yellow pine) and both rub rails attached. Been pondering the spray rails installation and should get to that this weekend.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 pm
by Fuzz
Your work looks neat enough to me that it will not be too bad fairing. But that all depends on the level of finish you are after. I lean more to the work boat side and not the work of art some of the guys build. I love the works of art but then I would be afraid to use them :doh:

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm
by TomW1
Yep fairing should not be to bad for you. Qustion though, did you take your skeg all the way to the transom, if you did you need to cut off 18" so that there is no disturbed water going to the prop. Maybe the picture is distorted and I am seeing it wrong.

Tom

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm
by PapaDave
Hi Tom. The skeg was installed starting 4 inches in front of the transom. No plans to go fast in this boat so I am not too worried about the turbulence issues. We have had a cold streak so progress is limited. Got the spray rails on and glassed over and started fairing the hull. Not too exciting. Slowly getting her ready for paint when the temperature starts to climb.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:49 pm
by fallguy1000
PapaDave wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm Hi Tom. The skeg was installed starting 4 inches in front of the transom. No plans to go fast in this boat so I am not too worried about the turbulence issues. We have had a cold streak so progress is limited. Got the spray rails on and glassed over and started fairing the hull. Not too exciting. Slowly getting her ready for paint when the temperature starts to climb.
To be fair to Tom here, prop turbulence happens at almost any speed. Disturbed water can cause excess prop slip and loss of fuel economy. If you go this route; you ought to do a slip calc at cruise speed.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:07 pm
by TomW1
Anything over displacement speed of 6-7mpg will cause interference with the prop. Chop off the skep now while you can unless you're running a 15 or 20 HP motor. When you know what motor, you are putting on, I will be glad to help to size the prop for you.

Regards, Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:24 pm
by PapaDave
I took your advice Tom and cut the skeg back 18 inches from the transom. Thanks for looking out for me. Besides that, it has been too cold to do much on the Panga so I started another project. My big whitewater dory is tough as a solo boat so I started on a one person double ender whitewater dory (11.5 feet long). This new one will be easier to drag around and run solo. Almost ready for exterior paint and deck coverings.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:00 am
by Dougster
Neat works and it looks cool too. I've never been in one of those but bet it's fun. How you can keep the floor so clean is a mystery to me!

Dougster

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:24 pm
by Fuzz
Nice little drift boat! Lot of use for them in my area.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:51 pm
by PapaDave
It would be a perfect size dory to run the Kenai solo Fuzz. I do need to get back up there soon. It has been too long. I put together two sizes of hatch drain molds that should work well for a few different boats. Just need to be waxed and then tested. The little dory is set up for four hatches and completely decked over, so I will build two hatches of each size.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:09 pm
by TomW1
Good looking hatches PD. Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:30 am
by PapaDave
Rolled on a few coats of graphite and almost ready to paint the outside prior to flipping over. I am curious about the final weight. Trying to keep it under 200 pounds.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:03 pm
by Fuzz
PapaDave if you do get the chance to get back here give me notice. It would be great to meet you.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:32 pm
by PapaDave
Thank you for the opportunity Fuzz. It would be a pleasure to meet you. I had a family friend that lived in your town but passed about 15 years ago. I have been through there many times. I will send you a message the next time I am in town.
Dave

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:56 pm
by PapaDave
Finally some warm weather to get going again. Ordered a custom color mixed up from Kirby Marine paint. I am calling it Safari Grey. A grey and green mix that changes with the lighting. But first I need to finish fairing and prep work. I put together a big sanding weapon for a 6 inch by 48 inch belt sander 50 grit belt. Just 3/8th inch ply with a sliding wedge to hold the belt in place. So far, awesome! Nothing more relaxing than a warm sunny day, sanding your boat, and beer. Spring is near.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:57 pm
by Fuzz
That thing looks like it will give gorilla arms :help: How do you hang on to it?

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:48 pm
by PapaDave
Hi Fuzz,
It is certainly a beast. I wear a good pair of leather gloves and push down on the top. No handles required. The 50 grit prevents any slipping. It gets the heart pumping and arms burning in a hurry. I knock down everything with a 6 inch sander and use the beast to level it all out. Tears through and flattens the quick fair in no time. Probably another two weeks and it should be ready for paint.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:51 pm
by PapaDave
My custom mixed colors arrived from Kirby Marine paint today. I sent him a color sample and he matched it dead on. Jungle Gray, Black, and Candy Apple Red. I am looking forward to getting the fairing done and rolling on some color.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:04 pm
by TomW1
PapaDave great colors. :D Where are they going? Tom

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:17 am
by PapaDave
Hi Tom. The paint plan is red on the bottom up to the spray rails, 1.5 inch black stripe, and jungle gray for the sides and interior. I have not decided on a color for non skid or seadek so far.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:27 pm
by TomW1
You know if you want to paint the inside decks the same, that the store has an excellent non-skid additive that you put a final coat of paint over. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... e-1-pound/ I love it. Had a boat with Kiwi Grip and it came up after 6 years.

Tom

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:39 pm
by PapaDave
Pulled off my first of four hatch drains from the small mold. The lamination schedule was 1 layer of 9 oz plain weave, 2 layers of 12 oz biax, and one layer of 9 oz plain weave. I wanted to test for rigidity before making more. Still need to trim both inner and outer edges and laminate to the underside of the decks. I ordered Trim Lok gaskets that pressure fit onto the inner lip following trimming. Similar to car door gaskets.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:43 pm
by PapaDave
I trimmed all four hatches for the solo dory and attached them to the decks with epoxy and 406 thickener. Screws were used to hold it flush until the epoxy cured. Really pleased with the outcome. They are very strong. The inner lip receives a snap on gasket (small test sample on first image) and the hatch rests on the 1/2 inch wide outside flat lip.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:03 pm
by PapaDave
The Panga has been neglected recently but the fairing is almost complete. A few minor low spots to fill and block out and she is ready for primer.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:00 am
by PapaDave
Decks and gutters are on and prepping to tape seams.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:39 pm
by Fuzz
From the looks of it you must be planning on having the drift boat in some serious rough water!

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:58 pm
by TomW1
Both boats look pretty good. Tom

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:16 pm
by VT_Jeff
Dave,

Love the mini Grand Canyon Dory!

I've been drifting the Deerfield Fife Brook section a fair amount already this season, I do a couple mile section that is not too hard on the boat. Not too many tubers on this section and it's well-stocked with test-tube rainbows. When you're ready give me a shout and I'll get you details, happy to do a trip as well.

Jeff

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:48 pm
by PapaDave
Hey Fuzz. Yes, it is designed and built for big whitewater, but also fun to play around on any river. I will take you up on that offer Jeff. Sounds like a fun trip to a new spot for me. I am away on a few trips but will contact you later in the summer when I get back. Thank you for the invitation.
Dave

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:05 pm
by PapaDave
Building two boats at once has been fun and a balancing act. The Panga is ready for bottom paint and then a flip for the interior. The mini dory is almost complete with a dozen minor items on the list. Mounting friction hinges, latches and final steps prior to paint. Also been helping with two electric guitars from walnut and poured epoxy that we are looking forward to playing.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:12 pm
by cape man
Those hatches are going to be awesome and I hope the axes sound as good as their looking!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:34 am
by Dan_Smullen
Everything looks amazing, but more amazing is the ability to juggle more than one complicated project at a time! Kudos for the expanded mental bandwidth!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:29 pm
by PapaDave
It was nice to get some color on after sanding and sanding and sanding. First coat of ‘Fire Red”. I will let it sit for 3-4 days, sand, and then go for the second coat.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:57 pm
by cape man
I'm swallowing spit! Wow!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:45 pm
by PapaDave
My son had a similar reaction Cape Man.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 am
by Jeff
Beautiful!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:37 am
by VT_Jeff
Panga, drifter and Tele's all looking great, that's a lot of fine work. A lot!

Are you planning on raising the oar locks on the mini? Interested in your plan on that. It's been a it of a challenge on my drifter.

Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:35 am
by pee wee
That shiny paint shows off how good you were at sanding and sanding and sanding!! Very nice. 8)

How are you applying the paint, and what brand is it?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am
by PapaDave
Hi Jeff. Oar lock height is always an issue that has to be dialed in. I put together some that raise it to the same height as my big dory and angle them in 15 degrees but I will not know for sure until I put it in the water. A lot of builders are using solid wood blocks to raise them up to the custom height required.

The red paint is from TotalBoat, and I just rolled it on with a 6inch foam roller. Easy application but requires sanding between coats. It is a really bright color so I plan on toning it down with some white and black stripes. More sanding in my future.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:08 pm
by TomW1
That red paiint is sharp. Should draw some fish to take a look a look at themselves. :lol: Tom

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm
by PapaDave
Sometimes the temperature, humidity, and lack of dust come together and you get lucky with a paint application. Today was that day. Third coat of fire red and the bottom is done. The pancake flip is next after putting together a support rack on wheels.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:56 pm
by jbo_c
Excellent work. Hope my paint looks half that good.

Jbo

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:36 am
by pee wee
Oooh! Watch out for those oyster beds and rocks! It'll be a shame to have to hide that nice finish down under the boat- pressure's on for a good paint job topsides. :lol:

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm
by Fuzz
That might be the best looking bottom I have ever seen.................well on a boat that is :roll:

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:35 pm
by cape_fisherman
That is BRIGHT! Nice! Wet sand that peal out of there & it will be perfect.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:36 pm
by Jeff
Beautiful work!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:07 pm
by PapaDave
Thank you to everyone for the compliments. I am constructing the flip cart and using 6 inch by 12 inch pads for support at the hull under the carpet. The cart will end up having 18 supports total. Does this seem like enough (every 2 feet) to prevent the hull from changing shape as I walk inside for interior glassing?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:49 pm
by Jaysen
PapaDave wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:07 pm The cart will end up having 18 supports total. Does this seem like enough (every 2 feet) to prevent the hull from changing shape as I walk inside for interior glassing?
Yeah. You probably only need 6. If using bunks 4. I think your approach works well with that beauty of a finish and the smaller pads.

No one ever complains about being overly protective of the paint. ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:36 pm
by VT_Jeff
Ill be interested to see if the bottom is wavy at all once flipped. I assume you used pads instead of bunks due the progressive deadrise, true?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:01 pm
by OrangeQuest
My little boat bottom is not nearly as smooth as yours but when I flipped it back onto its trailer, it was very easy for it to slide around on just the 2 bunks. I have since added two more bunks and new carpet on both pairs. I keep it strapped down so I can climb in and out of it and it doesn't move. Even with the motor mounted it is very easy to push the boat around on the trailer.

Since your hull is spread out on so many contact points, the weight per square inch is not as much and your bottom is soooo smooth, you may need to watch for it to move around a little.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:27 pm
by PapaDave
I went a bit unconventional with the solo whitewater dory paint scheme. I had to do it on at least one of these dories.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:29 pm
by Fuzz
Is this so the boat can see where it's going? No matter I like it!

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 pm
by BarraMan
Now that is wild! 8O

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 pm
by VT_Jeff
Awesome Dave!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:47 pm
by PapaDave
Finally, the flip occurred and landed on the right side. The support carriage was strapped to the boat and both went over at the same time so I did not have to lift the boat again. Fifteen minute, two person flip and three weeks of planning. Let the interior fun begin!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 pm
by TomW1
Congratulations now I see the snow on the ground behind her, do you have a warm place to work on her the rest of the winter? :D

Tom

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:28 pm
by PapaDave
Hi Tom. That is just gravel in the background, no snow at the moment. We went from 13 degrees a few days ago to 60 degrees today. I have been waiting for a warm day to do the flip. Rolled her back into the garage and removed all of the bulkheads and stringers. Have to level her out again and then glass the interior. Maybe next week. :D

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:27 am
by Fuzz
It is always good to get the flip in back of you. I think everyone worries their self sick over it but the good news is I can not remember even one that has not worked out. Even at the flipping stage the hulls are a lot tougher than we think they are.
Yours looks great right side up!

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:16 pm
by PapaDave
Hey Fuzz. Yes, we certainly do fret about the flip. I have only had one get away from me and it still came out fine. Made a lot of noise but no damage. Started cleaning up the interior drips and high spots from the zip tie holes. Next step is to fill the kerf cuts and drill holes with 406 thickener prior to glass layups.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:10 pm
by PapaDave
Still prepping the interior for glass and waiting for the temps to come up a little. Here are some photos of the rack support she is sitting on. I need to build a taller epoxy cart so I can mix from inside the boat and have the cart outside the boat. Climbing in and out takes a lot of time.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:28 pm
by PapaDave

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm
by blueflood
hey PapaDave,

Great going 8) WOW nice paint job - she looks great.

Love your crafty GRP hatch work on the solo dory. Those smaller plug mold and making copies projects are fun and are a welcomed change of scenery instead of fairing and sanding.

Excellent craftsmanship on everything you do, impressive ! Your work space is so clean too - I don't know how you mustered the energy for working on two boats, mold making, two six strings and it looks like there is a car under cover next to your boat..is that another project ? :D Tell me you were not remodeling the kitchen in between all this.

Yes, getting in and out of a flipped hull is tiring for sure and working on a sloped bottom is a pain. Good move for a tall epoxy cart. You will likely need something similar for your hand / power tools when you get to that stage.

As for the flip itself...like the guys say; we worry way too much on it. It never is that complicated or nerve racking. Also save on beer because you do not need as many people to help out than what you think is needed.

Build on !
Marc

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:07 pm
by MrPaul
Nice flip. Love the heavy metal music in your video. Mine was a flat bottom so it was easier. Screwed 2x4s across the beam at the top, dragged out on the lawn and flipped it over. V bottom is definitely more work.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:55 pm
by PapaDave
After a long pause, the Panga demanded some attention. Taped all of the interior seams and ran out of energy and daylight to finish the cloth in one go. My son says I am getting old and it is hard to disagree with that statement. The mind says go and the back says no. Started sanding the glass tape in preparation for the 12 oz biax cloth. More to come!

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:10 pm
by PapaDave
I was shocked last month at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic with a nice surprise from the judges. The little dory is quite popular.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:53 pm
by TomW1
PapaDave loved going to Mystic and The Boat Works when I lived in Boston. Nice little dory, well done. Tom

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:02 am
by Jeff
Congratulations!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:09 pm
by Jmk2000
Congratulations that’s a pretty dory

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:32 pm
by PapaDave
I finally got the glass applied to the inside of the panga. Thankfully that job is behind me. Sanded the glass where the stringers and bulkheads go and put the stringers back in. Everything fit really well and level. I will tack in the stringers and get rid of the temporary molds. The molds made the stringer alignment so easy and took about 15 minutes.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:58 am
by OlivierP
Looking very good ! From the picture it looks like you did the whole bottom in one go, I'm impressed, I did it side by side and found it hard enough...

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:51 pm
by Fuzz
Pretty darn impressive winning that award with the drift boat!
Your work on the panga is very nice but that is no surprise.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:59 pm
by TomW1
Very nice. Tom

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 am
by PapaDave
Stringers are in and laminated and I am trimming the bulkheads to fit. Starting to make a little progress.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:46 pm
by cape man
Really clean smooth work!

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm
by PapaDave
Thanks Cape Man. Got all of the bulkheads fitted and tacked in place. Next step is to tape them all in with one layer of biax.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 am
by cape man
Again, nice clean work. That's the way to do it!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:50 pm
by PapaDave
Bulkheads A and B with fiberglass alignment marks, wetted out, and fillets on ready to apply glass tape. First two bulkheads are taped in and done! Five more to go.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:06 pm
by mhd
Very neat work! Boat looks great!

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:00 pm
by PapaDave
I copied this sign from a boat shop in Arizona and feel that it is so appropriate for every builder on this forum. Enjoy your sanding dust!

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:11 pm
by Matthew Anderson
Good looking work! I love the effiency of the Panga. Poachers from Mexico love them in the Gulf of Mexico. They wash up on the southern Texas coast often.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:37 pm
by PapaDave
All of the bulkheads are glassed in and I am preparing the cleats for installation. Really looking forward to getting the sole attached and have a flat walking surface.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:33 pm
by Fuzz
Yep getting a flat deck to walk on is one of the best days of boat building.
I am enjoying watching this one happen :D

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:11 pm
by TomW1
Me to you have done a really nice job. Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:29 pm
by PapaDave
Thank you for the encouragement guys. Still plugging along on the Panga and other projects. I never posted a finished photo of the guitar build. Here you go. Fuzz, enjoy your Spring weather coming up!

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:36 pm
by cape man
That is insane gorgeous!

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:56 pm
by Fuzz
Amazing work on that guitar!
I will really enjoy the spring weather if/when it happens. Stiff F--ing snowing here :cry:

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:55 am
by Dougster
Very impressed with that guitar!

Dougster

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:16 pm
by OlivierP
Wood-epoxy at its best ! Very nice !