SK14 flooding

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SK14 flooding

Post by Cforester821 »

Splashed the newly finished SK14 last week, but had a problem.

When I jumped into the boat, the back 1/3 of the boat filled with half an inch of water through the rear scupper hole. I’m not THAT big of a guy (250 pounds) and have a motor on the back that’s about 100 pounds.

I used meranti plywood and probably used too much epoxy building the boat(my first one), but not too much to make it that heavy.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 flooding

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cforester821 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:38 am Splashed the newly finished SK14 last week, but had a problem.

When I jumped into the boat, the back 1/3 of the boat filled with half an inch of water through the rear scupper hole. I’m not THAT big of a guy (250 pounds) and have a motor on the back that’s about 100 pounds.

I used meranti plywood and probably used too much epoxy building the boat(my first one), but not too much to make it that heavy.

Congrats on the splash!

I get water through my scuppers if I stand on the extreme rear of the boat, esp if my "client" is not standing at the bow. It's something I'm working on on a fix for myself, though at the same time I'm going to be adding some weight.... :help:

My thought is this: I want the self-bailing for when it's at the dock, and when I'm in the rough stuff, but if I'm in flat, protected water, I'd prefer the deck dry. So I'm looking at making some removable plugs. My 3 scuppers, probably like your single scupper, are not round, so it's not as simple as it sounds. On your boat, maybe a hinged door with a friction hinge that you can close before you get on the boat and keep a lot of the water out, maybe not all.

I'll assume you've considered moving weight forward already?

Have you weighed the boat all up?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cforester821 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:38 am Splashed the newly finished SK14 last week, but had a problem.

You may want to hit up Fuzzytrout for his input. He pushes his SK14 pretty hard and probably has some thoughts on the topic.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Cforester821,

There are a few things to consider with the SK14. If you look at your plans (study plans state this as well) you will see the specs on this design:
Displacement at the DWL (Designed Water Line) = 350 lbs.
PPI at DWL = 195 lbs. (for every 195 lbs. added over the Displacement weight, the hull will theoretically drop 1 inch in the water column.
Designed Hull Weight = 125 lbs. (did you stick to the design or did you overbuild slightly?)
Max HP = 8 HP (A new Yamaha 8 HP weighs approx. 87 lbs) https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... 5-hp/9-9-8

These factors, as well as balance, need to be taken into consideration. You also have the weight of gear, battery(s), cooler, etc... These all play into the Displacement weight. I agree the 250 lbs. does not equate to a large individual but it is a significant addition with a Displacement weight of 350 lbs. What motor did you put on (you stated 100 lb. motor)? Did you exceed the 8 HP recommendation?

Going forward, maybe try and find a way to move some of the weight forward in the boat (coolers, battery, etc..) this may help offset your weight while steering. Also, do you have a tiller extension? This will help put your body weight more centrally located in the hull, giving the boat better balance. If none of this works or is not plausible, consider raising the scupper bottom edge up by an inch.

Best of Luck!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:05 am

Congrats on the splash!

I get water through my scuppers if I stand on the extreme rear of the boat, esp if my "client" is not standing at the bow. It's something I'm working on on a fix for myself, though at the same time I'm going to be adding some weight.... :help:

My thought is this: I want the self-bailing for when it's at the dock, and when I'm in the rough stuff, but if I'm in flat, protected water, I'd prefer the deck dry. So I'm looking at making some removable plugs. My 3 scuppers, probably like your single scupper, are not round, so it's not as simple as it sounds. On your boat, maybe a hinged door with a friction hinge that you can close before you get on the boat and keep a lot of the water out, maybe not all.

I'll assume you've considered moving weight forward already?

Have you weighed the boat all up?
I was thinking the same thing with the plugs. I’ll probably close off the scupper, drill a small hole and place a 1 inch piece of PVC in the hole, then plug the PVC with a boat plug.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm only 180 lbs and use a little 5hp propane outboard so no water comes in with me back there at rest. After I added a trolling motor and big 50AH AGM battery in the nose it's for sure dry at rest. you could float her with some sand/water bags or something at rest to see if weight up front would help. I wouldn't permanently cover that big scupper opening though. I once took a big boaters wake over the nose and the water rushed out that scupper immediately with no troubles at all.

Dougster

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

I send my little boat pretty hard and far, going places I probably shouldn't. But I overbuilt my little boat, glassed every seam, fill the entire thing with foam, etc.... I did 78 miles one morning in the Vineyard Sound chasing albies around the Elizabeth islands...

I just looked through your build thread, but it ended early so I cant see the rest of your build. but here is My 1.5 cents: Move your gas tank to the front of the boat, and make a tiller extension so you can position yourself a little forward while motoring around.

If you plan to use your boat in any kind of open water I cannot recommend plugging up the rear scupper. once the deck of your boat fills with water it changes the center of balance, and you'll flip the boat once enough water gets on the deck. With that big heavy engine, and your weight in the back along with the weight of the water, you will bury one of the back corners and flip over. Ask me how I know, and my scupper is wide open.... :lol:

technically i didnt flip her. i jumped off the back and saved it from flipping. But If I didnt jump off the boat was going over. Im glad the back scupper was open, and once i jumped off all the water drained out, i climbed back on, started the engine and was ok :)
AND this happened 5' off the beach in 2' of water. Some giant triple engine tuna tower jackass was hauling ass chasing albies 50' off the beach, right while i was coming back into the water after beaching mini boat on the sand. his wake + surf put way too much water in the boat, more then the scupper could drain.....im glad it happened 5' off the beach and not 4 miles in the middle of the vineyard sound

If you plan to use the boat in calm back bays then do what you suggest.