Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by mineratt »

The last set of fillet mix comes in today, who knows maybe I will finish up the gunnels with glassing this weekend, then its sanding and faring the upper structures, then priming and painting. But at this point all major additions and construction projects are now finished. It may actually make it to morro bay this summer.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress!!! Jeff

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I filled in the gap under the outside edge of the gunnel and sanded it flush all around. I glassed the outside edge of the gunnel with two layers of 6oz, the inside edge with 1 layer of 6oz with 2ft sections above the frames with an additional layer of 6oz. the open strip down the center has a layer of 6oz. i applied a layer of puddy to fair it out then a wide layer of 6oz to lock if all in.
Attachments
20230505_171558.jpg
20230506_110417.jpg
20230506_110427.jpg
20230506_110437.jpg
20230507_080753.jpg
20230507_080759.jpg
20230507_101859.jpg
20230507_101905.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

this leads to a general question, how is the stern side of the gunnel typically secured to the transom; laying on top of the transom and glued down, butt joined with a block? The different "how to" files never really show this detail. I layed the gunnel board on top of the transom lip and used a crap load of glue to lay it down. I used layers of 6oz placed in different directions along the outside edge onto the transom, then cloth covering the gunnel to top of transom. Is this enough? all interfaces are glued and have at least 2 layers of 6oz cloth.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

i am thinking about adding a fillet and cloth to the underside of the gunnel at each frame to reinforce the gunnel. everything has been appropriately glued as per the general how to instructions. I was thinking that maybe the additional reinforcement might be good to support the docking cleats and for holders. on a side note, the entire underside has been glassed with 12oz biax before i assembled the gunnel top.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You need to put a reinforcing block under each cleat and other hardware. These should be twice as beg as the cleat you install to prevent pull out. Use a minimum of 1/2" ply better is 3/4" for these backing blocks,

Toms
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I know about the backing plates, that is a given whether it is the FS17, or a Dusky. But what about actually reinforcing how the deck (gunnel deck) is attached to the frames? Is it strong enough with just the epoxy, or should I add the fillets/cloth to the spots where the gunnel deck attaches to the tops of the frames. If it is enough as is then that would be perfect and I will stop with is as is and just start faring it out.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ok attach a 3/4" block coated in epoxy on each side of the frame to strengthen the joint and give you plenty of gluing surface for the deck. This will be plenty and should have been in the plans some where.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Yes cleat where you can't fillet and tape. Both would work, and cleats are easier when upside down, or blind. Don't forget to paint up under there either. UV will reflect off the sole, and eventually degrade the epoxy there.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Gotcha, yes this cleat is in the plans and I have incorporated them. This is the last item to consider for construction and i do not want to miss something right at the end. That being said i guess all the glassing is now done, just down to the final fairing now. It has been a bit of a journey, but now the end is in sight.