Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by pee wee »

mineratt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:52 pm To tape the panel edges I will put in a small bead of fillet around the edges and the tape the edges again. Hope it goes better this next time.
Looks like that did the trick, nice!
Hank

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I have the base of the center console roughed in and glassed in place. The idea being to have no penetrations or screws through the deck. I filled in the deck raceway opening with foam, I will put a light layer of glass across the top of it in case I get a little high water on the deck.
Attachments
20230227_161019.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

If the FS17 is going to be stored on a boat lift that uses slings instead of a cradle, do i need to incorporate any additional reinforcement near the sling lift points on the sides of the boat or gunnels?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No need to just position the straps under the frames so that you balance her well. I would guess the frame in front of the transom and then frame C. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

2nd Tom

If you wanted to; you could add an extra glass tape for a foot or two centered as per Tom's gueses.

The only time to worry is a boatload of people while on the slings, but the forces are mostly up into hullsides even then, so not too much to fear. The compressive strength of ply is a lot.

My boat gets taken out on 6" wide slings and I am always worried about crushing the bottom core or side core; so far been okay and it is 10,000#..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

For what its worth, I've lifted my boat with slings attached to Ds either side of the transom and around the bow through the bow eye! Those fittings are all 1/2" s/s. :D

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

! Message from: VT_Jeff
I like your approach with the dam around the tubes. Will the console be removable?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Jeff,
I have read that the console should be bolted to the deck, but this console will be fairly small and should not be under too much stress when towing or when the boat is banging off the waves. Because I do not want any water migration through the deck into the bilge I want to limit all holes or penetrations into the bilge area. i want everything to be tight. I built the "dam" around the cable raceways and filled it with foam and will cap it off with a layer of glass in order to make sure everything stays water tight (I stole the idea from the guy who built the FS17 in the UK, his looked much better). The stand-off that the console will sit on is glued to the deck, filleted and glassed down as well on both sides (inside and outside) so i think that it should be able to provide a proper foundation for the console, there is a drain hole at the bottom of the standoff to keep water from sitting. I plan to permanently attach the console to the base with screws at each corner going into the base, and tape/fillet on the inside of the console, perhaps a little 5200 right on the initial base joint. But that will all have to wait until I finish the bow and gunnels.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

mineratt wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:02 am Jeff,
I have read that the console should be bolted to the deck, but this console will be fairly small and should not be under too much stress when towing or when the boat is banging off the waves. Because I do not want any water migration through the deck into the bilge I want to limit all holes or penetrations into the bilge area. i want everything to be tight. I built the "dam" around the cable raceways and filled it with foam and will cap it off with a layer of glass in order to make sure everything stays water tight (I stole the idea from the guy who built the FS17 in the UK, his looked much better). The stand-off that the console will sit on is glued to the deck, filleted and glassed down as well on both sides (inside and outside) so i think that it should be able to provide a proper foundation for the console, there is a drain hole at the bottom of the standoff to keep water from sitting. I plan to permanently attach the console to the base with screws at each corner going into the base, and tape/fillet on the inside of the console, perhaps a little 5200 right on the initial base joint. But that will all have to wait until I finish the bow and gunnels.
Understood.

Just throwing ideas around here, not advice: I'm not convinced that you couldn't just bolt the console to the base like Fuzzytrout did(he did need to remove it to garage it). The engine is only bolted on the boat and it's a LOT heavier than the console. Not that glassing it on is bad, but bolts leave you options down the road. Just food for thought.

I also tried to go for a dry bilge but failed pretty badly at it. After the first season I had to make some modifications: add a bilge pump, limber holes, drain plug, etc. I also used a dam(2, actually) but it clearly did not work for me, yours looks a fair bit better. I did not/do not have foam, luckily, or it would have been completely logged.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:52 pm
mineratt wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:02 am Jeff,
Understood.

Just throwing ideas around here, not advice: I'm not convinced that you couldn't just bolt the console to the base like Fuzzytrout did(he did need to remove it to garage it). The engine is only bolted on the boat and it's a LOT heavier than the console. Not that glassing it on is bad, but bolts leave you options down the road. Just food for thought.

I also tried to go for a dry bilge but failed pretty badly at it. After the first season I had to make some modifications: add a bilge pump, limber holes, drain plug, etc. I also used a dam(2, actually) but it clearly did not work for me, yours looks a fair bit better. I did not/do not have foam, luckily, or it would have been completely logged.
I am open to all advice and recommendations. The only time I ever felt the need to remove the center console was on a an old Dusky open fisherman, the deck had gotten a bit springy. the opening into the bilge area is packed with foam and there will be the epoxy cap on top which will limit water migration. If there is any water migration into the raceways it will end up in the transom storage area/transom bilge. The raceways are sealed at each frame with either 5200 or 4200 with poured foam behind them. If water does migrate then I will be at a loss and I will have to pull the deck. This is similar to what the Dusky had and it lasted over 30 years before I had an issue. It is all theoretical until the boat hits the water, and then what happens, happens. The boat will have scuppers for drainage, and a large automatic deck pump.