Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by mineratt »

The two outside top edges of the transom have tape on them, then the area across the transom/clamping board has several layers of tape across the width of the transom. The area below that (where the transom is "thin" has multiple layers across the transom as well in addition to a significant amount of tabbing all around. My thought on the upper sections of the transom was to apply the second layer of tape when I glass in the two motor well and storage compartment decking pieces. Right now the only areas where the glass is lacking is right at the bow due to my poor measurements. As that area will be a rope locker it will need to be encased with glass.
Applying the tape is a lot easier than the large sheets, the tape wets out very easily.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

First two bulkheads have been installed, forward and motorwell. I have been trying to tape over the top edge of the stringers that will be open under the motorwell but you really need to make sure the top edges are rounded enough otherwise you get the bubble down the center of the stringer. I have it sorted so I only have a very small spot with the bubble, perhaps I will inject some thickened epoxy under it. I just would like a little more protection for the stringer as it will be open to a wet humid environment. Also, tying it into both the motorwell bulkhead and the transom may provide a little more strength (maybe just a little).

The temperature has decreased significantly, at 95F i get maybe a 15 minute pot life (it starts to get real hot), now at 75 I get to work it in a lot longer.
Attachments
20220918_175100.jpg
20220918_175038.jpg
20220918_175033.jpg
20220918_175027.jpg
20220918_175021.jpg

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

All that tabbing takes a while. If you haven't already figured it out, wetting all of the tapes flat, then "hanging" them in place sped up the process for me.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Installed the motor well sides and frames. I could be wrong, but I believe the directions called for only tab of tape to be used on the rear bulkhead/frame, and then two layers of tape on the motor well sides. I went a filled the gap between stringers and the motor well panels with foam whish i will trim and glass over later.
There is one frame at the bow that has a gap under it that it a bit large. The front of the stringer had a little gap under it that i had bedded with the redish puddy, but this one frame/rib has a continuation of this gap. I left it alone to let the glue attaching it to the stringer dry so that i spend a little more time filling in the gap and glassing it in later this week.
Attachments
20221023_154839.jpg
20221023_154820.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Finished off the frames and glassed in the foam between the stringers and the splashwell side plates. I added a few additional frames to support the deck behind where the console will be positioned because I am heavy.
Attachments
20221117_173146.jpg
20221117_173138.jpg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the deck. The biggest issue will be a bit of flex when standing in the center. A floating frame or two running bow to stern under the deck will provide more support than anything else you could do. I wished I'd done that on my build. A 1x2 on edge and it will be solid.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I have the deck grips/glue supports installed and leveled. I need to put in the instrument/control/power wire chase tubes this weekend, and start the foam filling. The picture was taken before the side supports were glued in.
Attachments
20221130_170550.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Also, I found a used Suzuki DF50 for the boat.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looking really good!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

mineratt wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:50 pm Also, I found a used Suzuki DF50 for the boat.
Score!

Looks like lots of good glue surface for the deck. It will be solid. 1/2” or 3/8” deck?