Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by TomW1 »

Nice pick up on the Suzuki/ Everything looks great on the boat, good work. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I cut the center frames for the control, cable, and fuel raceways. I made a template to make sure that the holes all lined up. They are all sanded smooth and and then coated with epoxy, fresh new opened up internal and outsides. I left the raceways uninstalled so i can pour the foam in the outside chambers and have a place to stand while cutting it. I am thinking of a liberal dose of 3m 5200 on the front and back of each frame to seal up pvc pipe piercings'.
Attachments
20221210_141511.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Looking back at the time table i set out at the beginning of the project, it was about this time last year that the kit arrived. My first postings started at the beginning of January, but this time would be considered the real start date. When someone tells you that the project will take year, i did not believe them, but a year it is. It has been pretty easy going, no real rush to it, and if I did not have to work the boat would have been finished long ago. That being said, maybe another three months will be required.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I started the foam addition process. I had two heaters in the garage and a heat lamp to get the air temperature and skin temperature above 80. I mixed and poured in small batches and filled alternating compartments so that is might be easier to trim off the mounding layers of excess. i will add the excess pieces to the center chamber and then fill that after i finish the control raceways. I will also add foam to the empty side chambers after trimming.
I figure the easiest wat to trim the excess would be to use a long saw blade extending accross the frames to take the muffin top off, then sand the final last bit even with the frames with the orbital.
Attachments
20221214_175518.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

The long board works pretty well to sand the foam level.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's debatable whether it's significant or not, but some builders feel the cut surface of the foam should be sealed (like with neat epoxy) to avoid water absorption. It seems to me that water can't penetrate more than the open cells that have been cut, so it's not an issue worth wasting epoxy over, but that's just me.
Hank

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I am not too concerned about the open cells at the very top of each block. I would think that would only come into play when the deck is breached and then it is not re-sealed rather quickly. But if that happens than i have other issues and water in the foam becomes pretty much a non issue. When i put the deck on I will glass the top of it for additional wear resistance.
I cut the muffin tops off with a saw using the tops of the frames as a guide. It trimmed out pretty close and i will use the sander to take it the rest of the way.
Attachments
20221215_180032.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I finished the foaming of the outside compartment, I just need to trim off the muffin tops and level it out again. I installed the instrument/control/steering/fuel raceways down the center and now I need to seal around the gaps in the holes in the frames with some 5200. But I think it loos pretty good with the small channel for the fuel line, two medium channels for the steering, and large channel for the rest of the rats nest of wire and cables. I will be adding the foam to the center compartment with poured foam on each end and the pieces and parts in the middle sections. With any luck I can start with the deck this weekend.
Attachments
20221221_170809.jpg
20221221_170805.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looks nice and tidy, you do good work!
Hank

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

The foam is poured and leveled, all set to put the deck on.
20221229_112015.jpg
20221229_112018.jpg
I was thinking about the transom a bit more. The transom was originally rounded or arched, I cut it flat across. And re-rounded the motor well cutout. I thought that it might be better to have a flat transom top so that it could attach the trolling/kicker/backup outboard. Out of Morro Bay there is no convenient tow service (towboat/boatUS does not serve the area, I found that out the hard way).
20221229_112026.jpg
20221229_112031.jpg
20221229_112043.jpg
I glassed across the top of the transom with two layers of 3oz woven, one layer of 6oz biax, and one top layer of 3oz. Because of the minimal rounding of the sided of the transom I thought that the 3oz might mold over the top of the transom a little more smoothly which it did, that worked well so I thought lets put the 6oz tape over it as well, it worked and molded just fine, but the tape was a bit rough so I laminated a layer of 3oz as a top layer to smooth it all out. The first picture shows some white parks that look like "bubbles" but they are smudges from sanding the top layer.