LM18 Tunnel Build - NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM18 Tunnel Build - NC

Post by Jerid Ray »

I also disagree with the 70hp choice as well. The awesome thing is those controls/wiring will work with a 50 or 40 hp two stoke. Ask me how I know!!! Also that 70 is a monster at 228lbs!!!!! The Tohatsu brand motors are the lightest on the market the 40/50hp weighing 209 lbs. The 30 weighing 157lbs. Having so much weight in the back will start making your skiff like a production skiff....stern fat and unbalanced. Not so awesome. These boats are meant to be light. He calls for a 40hp in the plans as the largest.

I went with a 50hp yamaha two stroke (189lbs) on my LM18 tunnel after talking to a guy with a 50hp Tohatsu on his. He is my size (6'5" 230-250lbs) and said it was a great matchup for his LM18 tunnel. But if you talk to Reid at BBC he will say that his 30hp on his LM works just fine.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ryan there is more than just putting that 70HP Yamaha on the transom. You will have to add extra strength to the transom, add an extra layer of fiberglass to the bottom. I ran the 70 through my calculators and your top speed will be in the high 40's, speeds the LM18 was not designed for. Jacques recommends motor HP for a reason. Ask Jeff to ask Jacques for the specs to update the transom and bottom for the 70HP. You could get by with a 50 but that is all. For example, that same Yamaha 2st 70HP pushed my bigger OD18 to the mid 30's top speed with 500lbs of passengers on her. by adding the extra weight of the transom mods and fiberglass mods plus the extra weight of the 70HP you will not be able to get as shallow as the LM18 was designed for.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

70 HP is a lot. It will be OK for the transom if you keep it running low but at WOT, the boat may be difficult to control. As some have said, the extra weight will bring the transom down and increase draft.
The recommended HP is 25 to 40. With a 40, the boat will plane with 3 persons and gear.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

70hp will probably result in some major chine walk which will be terrifying and hopefully not toss you. Make sure you vest for sea trials. After experiencing the wot, you can always adjust the throttle down for safer operation.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Hey all! It’s been a long time, my daughters travel softball and work has kept me pretty wrapped up… knocking the dust off the boat this weekend to continue progress! My thought with the 70 and the tunnel was to go for a pretty aggressively cupped 4 blade for plane-ing out fast and running shallow long distances. If it becomes too much I’ll just sell the 70 and buy a 40 or 50.. I couldn’t pass on the deal at the time. I’m Definitely never going to run this boat wide open, as I never do my bay boat either.

Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jerid Ray »

I wouldn't even waste your time rigging it and putting it on. I mean strap on a. 100hp then. Aggressively cupped prop on a 70...you just don't need it with this boat. Buddy in town built one. With 3 guys and a 50 tohatsu..cav plate but no trim tabs he is on plane in 10ft. No bow rise. Jack foreman 3 blade.

That 70 is INSANE overkill my man. It's not about overpowered. it won't be running the right RPM range. It's heavier. A 50hp is overkill. A 70 is wayyyyyy outta of left field.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jerid if he has a Yamaha 70 it weighs only weighs 6lbs more than a 50HP motor. As far as props he could run a triple cup 4-blade for max lift and then run in the 4000rpm range for cruising.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I would go 4 blade. It will give you lift, slows your top speed, handles better, and make you plane faster(which doesn't matter for this boat). My lm18 planes in about 3' of distance.
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Been a long while since I’ve posted!

Definitely made some progress and most importantly learned a lot!

Hoping to get it to a point this week to flip back over for paint.
Attachments
IMG_7859.jpeg
IMG_7986.jpeg
IMG_7990.jpeg
IMG_7991.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff