Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
No serious fisherman wants to fish from sup.
I'll see my self out, thanks.
Please don’t. I’m open to ideas.
I did consider a SUP but then I wouldn’t likely be fishing off it. I might tether rods to it and fish it sitting down.

Really the important criteria are :
1. that it be close enough to a kayak to satisfy the wife, as I have kind of promised her I’ll make one.
2. Stable enough to fish in calm waters.
3. Unsinkable and possible to re enter solo
4. Lighter than my D5 that came in at a portly 40kg including the wheels. I will be giving that away or selling it and selling the little garden trailer I carry it on as well. I will be car toping this boat.
5. Ideally no much more than 4m, 14’ long so to minimise overhang on the car.
6. Ideally I can build it from 1 sheet of 4mm and the offcuts of 6mm and 9mm. I wouldn’t rule out buying more plywood though. I do have a lot of glass cloth.
[/list]

Possible that the best option is an outrigger but I’m looking for alternatives as well.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

rick berrey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm May be add 2 sheets of ply and build the more open version of the Honker 15 , if you can shoot a gun from it you should be able to fish from it .
I’d probably want to put it on a diet so I can lift it up on the roof. I know it can be done.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

You might be able to scale the Honker down in length only to get below 14' , leave the top ply off , strut some frames if the top ply is structural , buy the wife a kayak paddle , and say ( isn't she a beauty )

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.

I did years ago, caught some beam sea and dumped the rod into the abyss. Dad was mad.

The multichine bateau might be a nice trout getter.
The SK14 is a big sup and a lot have been built to fish out of.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:09 pm

I did years ago, caught some beam sea and dumped the rod into the abyss. Dad was mad.

The multichine bateau might be a nice trout getter.
The SK14 is a big sup and a lot have been built to fish out of.
I'd need to put that on a diet as well. I'd actually build a SUP as a recreational toy, but the SK14 looks way to big, the FS13 a little too big.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm thinking more like one of these viking kayak models, in terms of dimensions, and general use. I'm sure that you have these in the USA as well.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Will this be a one person boat or two ?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

. Most of the time just one I think, but two would be nice, sitting down canoe style. Standing is a nice to have, but not mandatory. Self bailing is also a nice to have. I can get 90% of what I want in any one of 100 sit on top style rotomoulded kayaks. A Chenoa 14' as designed would give me maybe 2/3 of what I want. More if I accept outriggers for fishing.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Honker 15 study plans talk about a D14 and D12 before the honker was designed . You should be able to scale down 15% to get around 12' 3" in length , scale down 10% in beam and you are about the same beam as the Chenoa 16 , about 39" . A Honker gives you a flat bottom canoe , I still wouldn't stand up in it without outriggers . 2 hunters were out in our delta a few years back in a canoe , they found the canoe with the guns in it , I think they found one body in the gulf a couple weeks later .

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Dougster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:22 am I built the Bateau Plyak. No way I could stand in it. I've flipped it several times just getting in and out. Never rolled it once I was in though. It tracks and paddles very well but is nothing I'd consider for your desired use.

Dougster
I thought about building the original framed Plyak design, but modified to make it wider and longer, or with a modified chine similar to fishing kayaks I've seen here. Then measure off the frames and plank it up. Glass the outside then discard most of the frames keeping only the minimum after I glass the inside. I've put the original offsets into Excel and it's all parabolas. Should be easily developable with 4mm.

It would be an experiment, but I am absolutely fine with it all falling over on me. Typical design for a fishing kayak here is a deep vee center keel with flat wide sponsoons either side, sometimes to the point of a reverse chine.