Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

As my C17 project draws to a close I am looking at building a kayak or canoe to use up leftover plywood scraps. I'll have a full sheet of 4mm (gift from my supplier!) and over a sheet's worth of 6mm and 9mm offcuts.

I was planning to build a Chenoa in either 12' to 14'. I have the 12' plans and can scale. I'm not too fussed about performance of the canoe; I want to paddle it only short distances in a lake then cast or jig for trout.

I'm thinking about putting a flat keel down the center of the boat This will be a strip of plywood say 2" to 4" wide and both sides of the boat will be stitched to this rather than each other. I believe that this will increase stability at a slight performance penalty, and allow me to more easily fit a rubbing strip on the keel. It will also increase displacement slightly. The stern of the canoe will be a flat surface 4" wide in any case: I will be fitting a wheel there.

Is this going to cause any unforseen problems?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Post by fallguy1000 »

owt

Disagree with your assessment. Stability will decrease as the hull makes a tipping point and the angles change. The draft will be lower based on what you are saying.

So, I don't disagree about it can be done, but the modifications will result in a less stable boat.

Consider tripping chines. Why do they 'trip'? It is because there is a critical weight shift in the boat that happens at the same time the edge catches. Not the same, but similarily, your 2-4" flat keel will be subject to subtle weight shifts in the canoe. Move a bit to port and the boat will auto steer left as the first chine 'trips'. This will also cause a sense of instability.

You would be far better to plan a flat bottom canoe for the trout adventures and it gets a skeg that does not affect stability. Or, you could make a flatter bottom canoe with more width than 2-4" and use the narrower material on the sides for non-tripping chines and this would also no be unstable unless you moved very far to the edges.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The other problem. Let's say you make the hull flatter; so the tripping or tipping issue is less likely. It will still want to steer left or right and offer you terrible helm.

Then, let's say I am wrong. Not ideal for your feet even.

My picture may be exxagerated against the angles planned, but tracking will be difficult no matter what as the boat fights over which side is the real keel.
ECAFBA75-D811-4D82-9E51-3E46D679A73C.png

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m not married to the idea yet. I could make it smaller than 2”, just enough to glue a keel strip on flat, but hopefully not enough to affect anything else.

I spent much of last week looking at the plyak plans as well, the original ones not the stitch and glue version. The stitch and glue version is self bailing, but I’m not sure about stability. I really want to be able to stand and cast, and reenter solo if I fall out. A plastic sit on top gives me all that but I don’t want to buy one.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I built the Bateau Plyak. No way I could stand in it. I've flipped it several times just getting in and out. Never rolled it once I was in though. It tracks and paddles very well but is nothing I'd consider for your desired use.

Dougster

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
No serious fisherman wants to fish from sup.

I did years ago, caught some beam sea and dumped the rod into the abyss. Dad was mad.

The multichine bateau might be a nice trout getter.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
I'll see my self out, thanks.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
I'll see my self out, thanks.
Hahahaha

A lot of very serious fisherman down here would like to argue about how valuable a sup is in these parts. There are actual charters for them. Much easier to get up into the grass in a sup. I’ve done it. I hate sup though. People on sup crush it here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

May be add 2 sheets of ply and build the more open version of the Honker 15 , if you can shoot a gun from it you should be able to fish from it .