GV13 Help

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
tomnwen
New Poster
New Poster

GV13 Help

Post by tomnwen »

Hello my son and I are currently building a Garvey 13 together. We have our parts cut out and have the two bottom panels on the frames and strongback. Tonight we were going to attach the sides to the transom and bottom panels and I think we ran into a problem. The transom and the side match up as we held it however as we wrapped it forward on the frames it appears that the front of the sides are too low to meet the bow transom. We did not attach the back just rough held it up and bending it on but it appears like it won’t line up. I checked the dimensions of the sides and it appears correct. I don’t know if once we attach the back there will be enough bend to meet the front. Unfortunately it seems to need to bend up to meet the bow transom not just around. I wanted to know if you guys have any advice or ideas where we screwed up. Thanks so much just feeling very frustrated and a bit embarrassed if I wasted some expensive okumne.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV13 Help

Post by fallguy1000 »

Check out these photos. May 4, 2020 - lotsa good content

viewtopic.php?t=64876&start=50
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I think i can tell what you are saying from your description, but pictures are worth... well, you know.

If you can get some pics that would help immensely. Usually someone on the board here can spot 1 or 10 things you may be doing wrong.

Phil

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Also, if you miscut something; it can be repaired.

I do NOT profess plywood repair expertise, but errors can be fixed.

Pictures and drawings will help if u have a problem.

All of us like to offer what help we can.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Don't Panic!

You may have to just bend the plywood sides more than you think past the forward most seat frame. Yes pictures would help. Do check out these ones on page 2
viewtopic.php?t=64876&start=10 - do your frames look like the ones shown before the side/bottom panels are put on?

Don't forget the sides are bending inward and rising upward to meet the bow transom. If you are building upside down, then the sides bend inward and toward the floor.

Since lots of GV13 have been built without too much trouble, you'll get there.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Easiest way for me to add pictures is to use a phone or iPad to write my posts. Then click the attachment button and attach a picture using the phone camera.

As far as you needing to scrap the plywood: never a problem to fill a gap with extra pieces glued then glassed in. My C frame above the floor is made up of about 6 pieces thanks to changing my mind and trying to save plywood.

But try and get it to fit first. If you are building on a jig—and you should be!—then it may be required to use some straps to persuade the panels to fit. Sometimes a gap is left. I had a 3” gap at the upper bow panel of my c17. I filled it with scrap ply and glass and you’d never know.