AR15 Rigging Question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

AR15 Rigging Question

Post by Reid »

Jacques,

This question came in from a customer who is building the AR15.

I'm working on an AR-15. I contacted Dwyer about the mast and rigging and they had a couple of questions that I hope you can answer for me.
First, the measurement on the length of the spreader arm is listed on the plans as 25 7/8. I'm assuming that is a horizontal measurement and the actual length of the arm is approximately 27 7/8 - could you confirm this?
Then, they were unsure from the plans where the headstay and shroud locations on the mast were. If I understood correctly, they have an all-in-one part DH 856A where all of these and a trapeze could join the mast.

Thank you!
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AR15 Rigging Question

Post by jacquesmm »

All dimensions are given to the center line of the spars and to the surface of the deck. The dimensions do not include the diameter of the spars and the fittings like brackets, turnbuckles etc. This is standard procedure and allows you to choose the accessories you want.
For the spreader, see the triangle that shows the dimensions. The resulting length is 27.34" from the mast center line to the center of the stay.

You are correct about the forestay and shroud locations: what I show is correct.

Dwyer has supplied that set of spars in the past, they should have the drawing.

Some builders have used rig kits for the 470 or even the 420.

Thanks for moving this to the forum: Gmail takes 20' to load one email reply but the forum is fast. I am at sea right now and have a very slow satellite connection.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com