DE 27.5

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: DE 27.5

Post by dennisb »

Does anyone have experience using System 3 epoxy in cold weather. I did a test sample this week, temperature when epoxy applied ~ 38 deg F. I let it set up for 3 days and then hit it with a hammer. The result was the epoxy pulled off the top layer of plywood. I did use the fast hardner which it says is will work down to 35 deg F.
Attachments
IMG_6252.jpg

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

That is what you want to see , the wood gave , not the epoxy

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ideal failure.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I like to do a nail test and then a sanding test. Pressing a fingernail into the exposed epoxy doesn't give and then sand an exposed area to see if it will produce sawdust or just roll up. If it rolls up still needs more time.

I have been dealing with cooler than normal temps here in Houston and only have slow hardener left, which needs 70 and above temps. It is taking 2 to 3 days to get to a cure hard enough to remove clamps and sand. Really slows down the whole process.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Too cold to do epoxy work but have been spending a little time fitting all the pieces in getting ready for warm weather.
Attachments
IMG_6285.jpg

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Very nicely done. I’ll enjoy following your build.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

The weather is warming up so I can start fiber glassing again. started to glass in the stringers and cross members this week. Also finishing up the roof, inside and outside are faired, I am going to put two coats of primer on the outside and then wait to finish it after it's installed.
Attachments
IMG_6339.jpg
IMG_6335.jpg
IMG_6327.jpg
IMG_6313.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Do you have any pics of how you bent the top! Looks clean!

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

I never did take photos of the form before I put the foam on it, and I have taken it apart already. It was made out of OSB and 2x4's. I had 3 OSB cross members front to back and placed the 2x4's ~ 2' on center side to side. The form was about 8' long. You can see part of it in the attached photos. I applied fiberglass to the bottom side of the roof first when it was flat, and then bent it over the form. I held it down with screws at the edges until after I fiber glassed the top side. When I pulled the screws out it did spring back ~ 1" on a side, but I think I can still pull it into position without too much trouble. I just put the first coat of primer on this morning, and it looks good. My plan is to put a second coat of primer on now, and finish paint after it's installed on the boat.
Attachments
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6298.jpg