DE 27.5

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: DE 27.5

Post by Matt Gent »

Mine was built with no drain, no limber holes, some foam, and shitty scupper tubes. I almost sank in the Tortugas.

Now it has no drain, limber holes, no foam, ball pit balls, and solid fiberglass scupper tubes.

Water finds a way. Make sure you can get it out. I do carry a manual bilge pump, and sometimes an emergency electric pump. At least with the limber holes I have access to pump out.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I like the idea of no holes so no chance of leaks. BUT and this is a big one, as Matt said water will find a way in no matter what. I have drain holes in all my boats. Living where we have winter the last thing I need is for water to collect and then freeze.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Finished the first layer of fiberglass today.
Attachments
IMG_5930.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Glassing outside, be very careful to check for amine blush after each cure!

I also prefer to fill the tape edges with thickened resin before laying on the next layer. I like to do it all wet on wet. I find it really easy for air to layup at the tape ridge or overlap ridges when done a second day. If no other option, I've also poured a little extra resin there after finishing the wetout, all along the overlap.

Things look good, btw. Always looking out for trouble, me. Want your boat to be great.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:56 pm I like the idea of no holes so no chance of leaks. BUT and this is a big one, as Matt said water will find a way in no matter what. I have drain holes in all my boats. Living where we have winter the last thing I need is for water to collect and then freeze.

I've got a semi sealed bilge with 3 inspection ports from above, two of the smaller front compartments just have holes through the sole with bungs. If I was doing it over I'd just do limbers everywhere with just one bung through the sole in a locker. Easier to seal and I could inspect with a rag through the hole. Water=break out a manual pump. But what I have now should work.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

fallguy, On the edges of the glass I sand them down a little, and then feather out with thickened epoxy. It's not perfect, but it reduces the bump.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

dennisb wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:17 am fallguy, On the edges of the glass I sand them down a little, and then feather out with thickened epoxy. It's not perfect, but it reduces the bump.
Yeah, that's good because it is a good place for trouble.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

All, thanks for the comments on the bilge. I am planning on installing a bilge pump. Also, I think I will install storage compartments between the two inboard stringers. I will put a removable floor in to allow water to pass under and get to the pump.

I am still on the fence concerning installing a drain plug.

Thanks again for the comments

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

dennisb wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:25 am All, thanks for the comments on the bilge. I am planning on installing a bilge pump. Also, I think I will install storage compartments between the two inboard stringers. I will put a removable floor in to allow water to pass under and get to the pump.

I am still on the fence concerning installing a drain plug.

Thanks again for the comments
I would not. Here in MN, drain plugs must be pulled during transport. And I never use mine, always use the pump. Maybe if the boat sees a heavy rain and I put on the trailer some more water comes out, but for a big boat like the de27, no way. I want pumps and a pump backup onboard, so buy two pumps and be ready to use either one and use the backup for a replacement when the ither one fails. Then go buy two new ones.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Pumps work great for boats in the water and while being used. The problem happen when the boat is on the hard. No matter how well you think things are sealed water will find its way in. I think it freezes where you are and you do not want water freezing in the bilges.