DE 27.5

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: DE 27.5

Post by fallguy1000 »

This forum drive me loopy some days. Wrote a long reply and it had logged out my user and post vanished. Man, I hate that.

Tom - I used CG approve A2 lines which I read today are crap.

Dennis - I will explain in a longer reply, but only use A1-15 hoses.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

I am using 1A-15 for both the fuel lines and vent hoses.

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Check the rating on your fill hose as well. I had problems with letting gasoline sit in a marine rated fill hose that went horizontally for a bit. Overfilled the tank and left fuel in the hose. Really bad fumes after a while. Talked to engineering at one supplier and was told that it was not meant to have fuel sitting in it. Didn't make sense to me. Replaced the hose with one called 'comflex' or something like it and problem went away. I could still smell gasoline coming off of the old hose (used only for about a year) for months after I pulled it out and left it outside in the open air. The one I removed was a well-known brand, can't remember which. I had to search to find one that was rated for much less emissions. Surely wasn't a problem I had expected to encounter.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy I should have been more specific like Dennis type A1 should be used. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:07 pm fallguy I should have been more specific like Dennis type A1 should be used. Tom
Wrong.

A1-15

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Finished fiber glassing the gunnels and back floor this weekend. Also starting to layout the helm.
Attachments
IMG_6858.jpg
IMG_6855.jpg
IMG_6851.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Those hatches look to be low. You cannot mount them flush unless you have a gutter system or if you plan a wet bilge. They are fairly leaky. I have two of the exact ones.

They should be mounted onto the deck. You may be rather upset if you get 2" of rain.

And I'm truly looking out for you after tons of leak issues all summer on my end. Dan

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

But if you mount them on the deck you have a trip hazard. There's a scupper there, and the sole should be well above the waterline, but I'd be concerned about the potential for a combination of blocked scuppers, leakage and rain to sink the boat over a period of a few days left at a dock. I can not see from your pictures if water is prevented from going forwards under that sole or not.

An alternative to those drains is a screw down piece of plywood with a rubber seal. This can by DIY and made to be more watertight. Depends on how you've got it set up.

An off the wall option is a central seat/storage/cooler holder. Build around those drains about seat height and have a lid. Great place to chuck bags, coolers, lures etc.

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

I was able to install the windows today. Starting to look more like a boat. They let a lot of light into the cabin.
Attachments
IMG_6885.jpg
IMG_6884.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Yes, it's looking a lot like a boat! :lol: I like the windows, I see a classic style there, kind of old timey.
Hank