Beam at Waterline - GF12/14, FS12

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
23mako
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Beam at Waterline - GF12/14, FS12

Post by 23mako »

I have the plans for GF14 and want to confirm that the beam at the waterline is 40 inches? I already have a trailer and the maximum beam it can handle is 40 inches.

What about beam for FS12?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beam at Waterline - GF12/14, FS12

Post by Reid »

23mako,

The largest frame for the GF14 is 46-1/4" at the chine. I don't have an exact measurement for the water line beam but it would certainly be wider than the chine measurement, which would definitely make it wider than 40".
GF14frame.JPG
GF14frame.JPG (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
The same frame in the FS12 measures 43" at the chine, so this will not fit either.
FS12frame.JPG
FS12frame.JPG (17.26 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Keep in mind also, these measurements are the frames. They do not take in consideration the hull panel thickness and fiberglass cloth.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

23mako
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 23mako »

Thanks Reid. Does bateau have any powerboat plans that might accommodate a 40 inch waterline beam?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You seem to be letting the trailer dictate what boat you build, which seems counterintuitive. Can't you raise the bunks of the trailer to allow a wider boat to fit? Swap your trailer for a different one?

The SC16 is a narrow power boat, I can't tell what the beam at the chine would be, but maybe it could be scaled down to fit, if necessary.
Hank

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

23mako wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:55 pm Thanks Reid. Does bateau have any powerboat plans that might accommodate a 40 inch waterline beam?
23mako,

Pee wee made a good point, it seems a little backwards to let your trailer dictate the boat, especially a trailer that can only accommodate a 40" beam.
That being said, the SC16 would be really close. The widest frame has a width of 38.5" at the chine, but keep in mind that this does not account for the hull panel and fiberglass thickness. I still think you would be too tight once all is said and done.

I don't believe we have a "skiff" style hull that will accommodate your trailer. The FS13 will fit but that is a Solo Skiff, basically a paddle board on steroids. Your only other option (if you stay with your trailer) is to look through the Canoe/Dinghy section.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with pee wee and Reid. Select the boat you want, if you don't you will not be happy and regret it. If the trailer doesn't fit, you can sell or exchange it for one that does. Trailers can be pretty adjustable so see if yours can be adjusted first before doing anything drastic.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

23mako
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 23mako »

Thanks for the feedback fellers. Yes after looking at the trailer I believe some wider bunks could be used. Thanks for the tip pee wee.

I have limited trailer space in the garage so that is why width is a concern.