stringer rules...how many and where???

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Saltfix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: stringer rules...how many and where???

Post by Saltfix »

question..I have been BUYING wood flour to make my bedding compound..
Has anyone saved their own sandings and used it for wood flour? Seems I have plenty of it.. I was thinking of sifting it and using it...

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Even sifted it will still be pretty coarse compared to the wood flour. At $20 for 5 pounds from here I have never even thought of trying to make my own.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

For fillets and fairing I use only high quality WEST fillers. If I had a reliable source of wood flour I'd consider it, but DIY would be more trouble than it's worth, unless it's an area that nobody sees, and you don't need to glass over it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Saltfix wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:02 pm question..I have been BUYING wood flour to make my bedding compound..
Has anyone saved their own sandings and used it for wood flour? Seems I have plenty of it.. I was thinking of sifting it and using it...
I used it, but it does not flow well as particle sizes are too large. So the stuff is chunky, but makes a great thick paste for the end of kayak or canoe.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

since you are filling a pretty large area you could do the wood bedding and part way fill with the home made stuff. I would leave it a little low and then come back with the good wood flour to make a smooth cap for glassing over.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Saltfix wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:59 pm yes..just like the stringer was.. I just have it sitting in there ..not even mixed my epoxy yet..when I bed it..exess will only have one way to go..up..right where I want it..:) then fill the gaps. doe my fillet.and will be ready to tab...
It will also put more strength in as well..
then I can start fitting in my crossmembers..
It’s been a while. How is the repair going?