stringer rules...how many and where???

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Barry_CF
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: stringer rules...how many and where???

Post by Barry_CF »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:24 am I've looked at the pics and apparently I'm not ready for prime time bcuz I don't see the issue.
Look at the last pic, as the others, for me anyway, don't seem to show the issue. On the outside of the stinger at the base I *think* you can discern a trough about an inch wide, making it difficult to get the tabbing in.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:24 am I've looked at the pics and apparently I'm not ready for prime time bcuz I don't see the issue.
Ditto! 8O
I can't figure this one out at all! :doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

This bit? You can fill it all the way up or fillet both sides. Personally, I fill.

If filleting both sides; it would be best to extend the tapes to 2" past the last fillet. This may mean an extra tape to get the width you need.

But I still think I'm clueless.
A1AF29B2-4AAB-4793-A8EA-C97C78BCA5A7.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

We are looking at a low spot between the outside of the stringer and the hull. OWT suggested filling the low spot with a piece of wood bedded in epoxy glue to bring things up to level. And then running the tabbing out over that and onto the hull. At least this how I understand things. I see no reason that will not work and it will use a lot less epoxy.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:02 pm We are looking at a low spot between the outside of the stringer and the hull. OWT suggested filling the low spot with a piece of wood bedded in epoxy glue to bring things up to level. And then running the tabbing out over that and onto the hull. At least this how I understand things. I see no reason that will not work and it will use a lot less epoxy.
Yes. I do not know for sure whether that is the best solution, but I saw that as preferable to glassing into that hollow. It might depend on just how rounded the hollow is. I considered other ways to fill, but wood and high strength fillers work best of anything I could think of. He might need to flatten with a grinder before glassing, if he can't get it wet on wet.

This is the backbone of the boat after all. I can't think of a better place to overbuild.

Saltfix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltfix »

filling that with epoxy would require a LOT of epoxy..so I got some 3/4thick X 2"wide wood strips and fit them in..I will mix some epoxy and wood flour and bond them in..that gets me level with the flat portion and then I can fillet and put in my tabbing.
That was a great suggestion..and the easiest and cheapest way to go..:)

Saltfix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltfix »

I filled the void with a strip of wood to bring up level. it looks short, it looks short at the transom end but I have to put in a motor well and it will fill that portion when I fit it in.
Now it will be an easy job of just filling gaps and making fillets..
Thanks for the advice.. great idea!!!
Attachments
20220829_135101.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It has to be bedded in thickened resin...in case that is not obvious..the tabbing needs to be continuous against something solid, it is not just a former
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Saltfix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltfix »

yes..just like the stringer was.. I just have it sitting in there ..not even mixed my epoxy yet..when I bed it..exess will only have one way to go..up..right where I want it..:) then fill the gaps. doe my fillet.and will be ready to tab...
It will also put more strength in as well..
then I can start fitting in my crossmembers..

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'd put a neat coat of epoxy on the wood first especially end grain before you fit it in. Or use a slightly runny mix so some epoxy can sink into the wood and still bond well. Probably doesn't matter much either way. Just make sure that you use enough.