CK17 build thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CK17 build thread

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:41 pm I'll be the antagonist here... finish the bottom before the flip. You will mess it up more when you try to flip it at 3x the current weight.
I agree that fear of nicks is not a good enough reason to wait on the bottom finish. If you just plain don't want to do it now, that's fine, you're not the first, but if it's just nicks you're worried about, I'd go ahead. Esp if the bottom is going to be graphite/epoxy, which I happen to like.

I think Dan S did his bottom before the flip but not the sides, which may be a good compromise. It means you don't need to flip again, but the sides, which are most vulnerable, can be done later.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

I appreciate the input. Unfortunately I was in the garage flipping the hull over as these replies were being written ;)

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

After being on the road to finish 2022 and recovering from pneumonia. I finally got back to the CK17 build 2 weeks ago. I was able to glass in the inside chine, bow and transom seams. I cut drainage holes in the middle 2 bulkheads because it will live its life right side up on a trailer and connected them with PVC that I split down the middle so I can have mostly watertight lockers on either side of the dagger box. I also have glassed in all frames. It's finally starting to look like an actual boat!!

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Reinforced the transom for the outboard kicker bracket. assembled the mast steps, and trimmed to fir the seat tops and the foredeck.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Coming along nicely!

That's a good size boat to have fun and handle easily, but big enough to take somebody along. I didn't go back and look, but have you sourced your sails yet?
Hank

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

I have not sourced the sails per se. I am going to make them out of white heavy duty poly tarp, reinforced with dacron line.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Poured the floatation foam, got around 12 cubic feet total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I like what you did with the foam! You get the flotation and not have the worry of soaked foam the way you did it, smart move.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Painted the inside of the storage compartment and the underside of the seat tops and started gluing the seat tops to the framing.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Sorry for the delay in posts. I have been out on the road and only have about 1 week every 2 months to work on the boat. I got the seat tops bonded in and carved the dagger board and the rudder.