CK17 build thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CK17 build thread

Post by string1824 »

piperdown wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:57 pm Did you put a little thickened epoxy between the panels when you butted the splices together? That would have been just before putting the fiberglass on.
Neither the tutorial on this page or the plans call for doing that. The gap was less than 1/16 inch and was filled with epoxy when priming the joint so I did not butt t hem together with thickened epoxy. the splices are extremely strong.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Made full sized patterns for the rudder parts out of poster board

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

string1824 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:02 pm
piperdown wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:57 pm Did you put a little thickened epoxy between the panels when you butted the splices together? That would have been just before putting the fiberglass on.
Neither the tutorial on this page or the plans call for doing that. The gap was less than 1/16 inch and was filled with epoxy when priming the joint so I did not butt t hem together with thickened epoxy. the splices are extremely strong.
The proper way to butt panels is to prewet them and bond them with peanut butter.

If you have the tapes on both sides and no seam bonding, I would recommend you try to get some epoxy into the seam. Probably a couple ways.. get a tiny bit of epoxy resin and thicken it and then close one side of the open seam. Let it cure and inject clear epoxy into the other side. Or you can stress the seam a wee bit and see if it is stable enough. You said you believe some got in.

I have never heard of making a seam without putty...a lot depends on the hulls design and reinforcements..but in a large boat like mine, the seams are all closed on a foam hull with clear epoxy.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am curious about the tutorial omission more than anything. Do you have a reference?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I found the tutorial and it is a bit short on needed details.

https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... -panel.pdf

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:30 am I found the tutorial and it is a bit short on needed details.

I'll drop a line to the BBC folks and ask them to clarify here and in the Toot. For the record, I think the thickened material is what JM suggests even with the puzzle joints. I messed them up and he gently chastised me for not following the directions.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:30 am I found the tutorial and it is a bit short on needed details.

I thought the same thing. I know I got a good amount of epoxy in the seam. there were no air bubbles under the glass at the seam, and when I flipped the panels over after the first side cured there was epoxy all through the other side of the seam and a little on the panel flats that I had to sand before glassing the second side. The seams are also going to be covered with another layer of glass during hull assembly so I'm not too worried about it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

string1824 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:40 am

I thought the same thing. I know I got a good amount of epoxy in the seam. there were no air bubbles under the glass at the seam, and when I flipped the panels over after the first side cured there was epoxy all through the other side of the seam and a little on the panel flats that I had to sand before glassing the second side. The seams are also going to be covered with another layer of glass during hull assembly so I'm not too worried about it.
The epoxy run through is actually not ideal. Both for material usage and for strength. Also, there is the idea that straight epoxy is brittle while wood flour or silica thickened epoxy is more flexible adding strength. For the CK17 this isn't a problem for hull pannels as the glass will more than make up for the straight epoxy. The problem with hull panels will be on the larger/faster boats that will have huge forces (some of them impact from waves) on these joints.

Make sure you use thickened epoxy in any joint that will loaded heavily. Mast partners, centerboard trunk, oarlock areas, transom layers, etc. That elasticity really will be important over time. Or if you sail like I do (which is stupidly).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:36 am

I'll drop a line to the BBC folks and ask them to clarify here and in the Toot. For the record, I think the thickened material is what JM suggests even with the puzzle joints. I messed them up and he gently chastised me for not following the directions.
The really important thing is to prewet and also to leave enough space in the seam for putty.

I inadvertently tested this once. I had ash panels cut for the sacrificial timbers on the Skoota, but they were short. So needed to butt to make it easier to laminate a stack. Well, I skipped prewetting and sure as he!!, the parts broke when I went to pick them up. On inspection, I could see the dryness of the epoxy at the seam and the entire putty just broke out ez. Old wood drank the resins from the putty.

Anyhow, not to booger up this thread, but it would be good to get the tutorial edited for others.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Official reply is the thickened epoxy is not needed unless it is called out in the build notes. It won’t hurt but is not needed.