HMD19 Penny is launched, July 30, Marc aka blueflood

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Penny is launched, July 30, Marc aka blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Finally after eight years Penny is launched !
I will post photos later.

Nervous and barely slept the night before but the towing and launch were uneventful afterall. My buddy who towed really helped ! Fun ride.

Observations;
She feels very safe and is a super comfortable ride. The outboard is new and not even broken in yet so i could only go below 2000rpm which is like idling really. I hit the dock three times trying to align :o The wind was strongish as well so next year I may reconfigure our dock for less hassle.
The current arrangement is not for although i may only need more time on her.

When docked she looks to trim high. I have two anchors with rode, tools and gear stowed in the berth area, full 5 gal water tank and had brought additional big water jugs. I will need more ballast or trim thr motor or shift things. The little cruising we did was really a nice ride - very safe feeling about it.

Will get someone to film and take photos to see how she rides. I recall DougN and Chigagoross saying load up and load the front as well.

She looks pretty at the dock... have to do some changes and tweak a few things before next outing.

Good to see another HMD 19 was launched in Oz. Hope everyone is good !

Photos coming up.

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: HMD19 Penny is launched !

Post by Doug N »

Hi Marc. Great news to see that Penny has been launched. I think you'll quite enjoy it. About the bow being a bit high, I did some measurements while I was out last. A friend and myself (about 370# total for us), no water, no additional weight added forward except for about perhaps 30# of tools/parts under the berth, just forward of the helm bulkhead. Using a tilt meter on the berth top, I read 2 deg at idle/2.5 deg at 5 knots/4 deg at 5.8 knots. Did not check trim when not under power. Did not mess with engine trim so that may change things somewhat. All that said I haven't found the trim to be a problem unless you are near full throttle and the combination of the trim increase and the rising stern wave, I sometimes have water coming in the drains in my splashwell. You're going to find this a fun boat. Looking forward to pictures on the water.
Doug

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hey all, some launch day photos and first docking :D. I am still breaking in the outboard and getting used to her handling. So far so good and much more comfortable approaching the dock. I am starting to read the wind and current with more confidence taking her in real slow. Planning a short day trip this week.

At full throttle 5000 rpm I topped 6.48 mph with 3 adults and a child. She rides smooth with ease and just plows thru waves with no effort (and fun) but I find she rolls just a bit much although not so scary. This trip will only be two of us so I will play with shifting the 75 lbs of water jug ballast just in front of the cabin by the head and see what she does. The added weight low in the centerline should help or shed weight above...get rid of the door and use vinyl, use thinner lexan windows, maybe remove the cabin roof vent. etc... Also the Monstaliner that I sprayed is on the heavy side having used 5-6 gallons, lots of it on the cabin. Recalling the build, I would have further modified the aft built up frame in the cabin by using only one lamination. Nothing that cannot be remedied tho :wink:

HMD19 pilots...what are your thoughts on the roll ?

Build on
Will attach action shots when I can.

Marc

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done!!!! Jeff

Aussiehmd19
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussiehmd19 »

Looks fantastic Marc. Congratulations! The conditions looked choppy too. That dock looks like you might have to use plenty of bumpers. I have not found that roll is an issue at all. In fact it’s very stable in roll. I do have a very heavy battery under the step down to the toilet and water tanks under the sole. You bow looks high like all the rest of the hmd19’s. I have just purchased a V shaped bladder tank for the bow and a pump. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s 55litres.
Congratulations again Marc and enjoy.
Graham

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

CONGRATULATIONS! Boat looks great. And not a bad feeling to finally get it in the water I'm sure :D
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Thanks guys !

Not a bad feeling is right !!

Graham, I should have been more specific - she rolled quite a bit taking a direct side boat wake from a bit too close. I expected some rolling but it seemed excessive. When people are in the cockpit I make sure to not all go on one side. To me, it should be stiffer in the water (i.e. lower CG). I will see with the weight shift. Your build is ideal with the large tanks below deck and the batteries. Available water ballast is 34 litres plus the fresh water tank 18 litres already filled (and the head - say 4 litres). Worst case is I fill the void space under deck around the water tank and transducer with heavy chain.

I do not have enough of a feel yet but am trying to find best performance by trimming the outboard, just playing around. A video will be done soon so we'll see.

Yes it was choppy and is most of the time. I pull in with the wind at my back and reverse to control. The current pushes me towards the dock. Ideally, I would have the dock like an L to dock in the current with the wind from my left. Maybe next year. I also just received dock bumpers (D profile) to screw on but that will be my winter project. A few mods to do on the dock also...learning :D

Marc

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Congrats. Looks amazing, be very proud!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Boat looks great on the water.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne