House build

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: House build

Post by TomW1 »

I would hire a professional to do the tenting and application of Vicane as Richard mentioned. It is very dangerous to handle, and I want to keep you around. :D I had the highest pesticide license that NC issued when I operated my nursery and would not handle Vicane. Get estimates from Orkin and Terminix or other pest controllers in your area that know what they are doing and have done it before. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Yes, Vicane is expensive but it will annihilate anything above the slab. Beetles, worms, rats, termites, grubs, you name it. I got a house treated when I younger and the shit even killed hundreds of earthworms in my front planter where they tucked the tent in. Termidor and demon work well for subs…
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

The Termidor is labeled for beetles , fire ants and termites , years ago we had cloridane and lindane , both worked as barrier chemicals , one in dirt , one in wood , lindane was said to be so toxic to humans they just had to pull it off the market , you can only get it now in some lice shampoo . In Florida you do see dry wood termites infesting houses , they have to be tented and it will kill everything ,very rare to see a house infested here in South Alabama , you find them mostly in furniture that came out of Fl. While they say Termidor is a barrier chemical it was not developed as such , it acts like a virus and is passed multi colony . I am not sure how it works on beetles , I would use a Tim-bore type product for the wood treatment , but Termidor or Tarus can be used to treat both . By treating the wood with Termidor you will also get some termite protection once the termite enters a treated piece of wood .

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

rick berrey wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:05 pm The Termidor is labeled for beetles , fire ants and termites , years ago we had cloridane and lindane , both worked as barrier chemicals , one in dirt , one in wood , lindane was said to be so toxic to humans they just had to pull it off the market , you can only get it now in some lice shampoo . In Florida you do see dry wood termites infesting houses , they have to be tented and it will kill everything ,very rare to see a house infested here in South Alabama , you find them mostly in furniture that came out of Fl. While they say Termidor is a barrier chemical it was not developed as such , it acts like a virus and is passed multi colony . I am not sure how it works on beetles , I would use a Tim-bore type product for the wood treatment , but Termidor or Tarus can be used to treat both . By treating the wood with Termidor you will also get some termite protection once the termite enters a treated piece of wood .
Ah, cloridane! That was some good stuff. I remember back in 98 or 99 we were doing a cleanout of a football stadium and there were several 1 gallon containers. I didn't worry about brown recluse spiders or other insects for a long long time. All of EHS grabbed some to spray around the house.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

We are giving advice to a guy who is building his own house from raw, self cut timber.
Keep in mind if you are living in a warm climate like Florida, you might even be getting bug cooties in your store bought wood.
Termites are a serious problem with imported plywood, mostly the stuff coming from China or Vietnam. I’ve also seen plenty of termites in domestic birch as well.
The termite situation is getting worse with the green building movement, the lack of formaldehyde and chemicals in the panel product allows termites to flourish.
We removed cabinets today from a multi million dollar house that were infested with termites. The cabinet core was China birch.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Got the solar system installed. I amazed myself and it actually works. The trim and all is actually done, in this picture it isn't. That front picture is looking from the garden. I recently tilled up a 1/2 acre area.

IMG_20220928_215843.jpg
IMG_20220928_215842.jpg

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice work, might have to come by and check it out if it’s not too far from my place in Madison.
Richard

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice, congrats!!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

How many KWs in the solar?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice :D That will be a big garden to manage. You going raised beds, sort of looks like it there. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978